Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serger thread question about serging prefolds.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 445 Total Views

What kind of serger thread do you use? Are there differences in thickness, durability, etc? I have been having trouble with my thread breaking alot.  I don't think it is the tension because the stitching looks perfect and even. I have been converting some prefolds into fitteds, and I am having to re-thread the needles multiple times per diaper. It is so frustrating! The underlooper and overlooper threads don't break, just the needle threads. If I loosen the tension the stitching is loose and wonky. I am wondering if the thread is just too weak, or maybe I need to use different needles. Are there different sized needles like with a sewing machine? I am still sort of new to serging, and am using the thread that came with my machine (I got it used). I have a Huskylock 535, and I am using #90 needles if that makes sense. I bought them online, and they say they fit Huskylock 535. They seem to work ok with other fabrics, but the thread does still break sometimes even with thin fabric. Sorry for the long post, but if you can help I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmc_wifey230
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 8:32 AM
I have that problem with cheap thread. My favorite thread is Maxi Lock
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Margarita907
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I use maxi lock too.  I get it at Joanns.  Its made by guiterman , I think.

Jamaica_Gyal
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:42 AM

I hear that maxi-lock is the best. My serger servicer told me that.  I admit I have not used this thread but i need to start.  I think I can get it in the coop cause i remember seeing it last time I was there.  have to get prices though.

BJDoubleTrouble
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 8:44 AM

That would be great, but how long would it take to get it? I really need it pronto! Thanks!

Quoting Jamaica_Gyal:

I hear that maxi-lock is the best. My serger servicer told me that.  I admit I have not used this thread but i need to start.  I think I can get it in the coop cause i remember seeing it last time I was there.  have to get prices though.

lilchikkis
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:13 PM

yes sergers have different types of needles like machines i usually use ballpoint needle since i mainly serge clothing. i got some denim needles so i can sergemultiple layers of fleece. as far as thread i use the ones from joanns.

Jamaica_Gyal
by on Mar. 7, 2011 at 3:20 PM
Well I wouldn't be able to get it til the april 1st coop so that would be to late 4 u. I'll still check on it though cus my machine would function better with this overlock thread.

Quoting BJDoubleTrouble:

That would be great, but how long would it take to get it? I really need it pronto! Thanks!

Quoting Jamaica_Gyal:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)