Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leg Elastic?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

I've been working on a pattern for a OS diaper with the adjustable rise snaps. How I've been doing my elastic, I sew each end down super securely and then encase it while I top stitch. What length should I make the elastic? I don't want the legs to be too tight on the bigger babies, but I also don't want it to be too lose on smaller ones. Suggestions?

I am Michelle and I am 28.  Trying to work it out with the father of my two beautiful girls, Kaylah (6/9/2006) and McKenna (6/14/2009). I miss my  yellow lab named Vegas (9/17/2007) .. he's my baby boy and my kitten named Twinkle (4/16/2010). Hopefully moving soon out of Richmond,VA to MD!

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
msnellen82
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 10:06 AM

Ok, so yeah. I definately need to losen the leg elastic up. McKenna wore one of the diapers last night, and in the morning she woke with red marks where the elastic was. Not too bad, but it was still there. Right now I measure 4 inches for the leg elastic, maybe I'll go to 5 inches.

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

I tack the first end down, stretch the elastic along the length of the leg (I can't think of how to properly explain this...but I pull along the first straight bit, pinch where the leg curves away from the elastic, then pull so it's straight with the leg again) and then tack the second end down. Of course, once you've done that you could just measure your elastic and go off of that...I'm just really bad at remembering numbers! I'm pretty sure it's 6ish inches...maybe more. 4 sounds way too short for a OS.

Jeremmy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 8:18 PM

I havent sewn diapers yet, but I have sewn in general.....I prefer to stretch the elastic (or tack the elastic) to a length that fits the pattern, and *not* measure it. Like the pp explained. Once you get used to the same pattern, I guess you could just always use the same length if its easier though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)