Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does wicking mean?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 497 Total Views

My  son's diaper got wet on the outside on the leg holes. Is that wicking or just regular leaking? How can I stop it?

I did a cotton layer, pul layer (same template) and one of the gerber prefold cloth diapers as a soaker...Did I do anything wrong?

by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BJDoubleTrouble
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Did you wash and dry it on hot before you used it to seal the needle holes?  Was his leg wet, or just the fabric around the leg elastic? If his leg was wet then it probably leaked out the leg hole,which could mean that you don't have enough absorbancy. I have heard many times that Gerber prefolds are not very absorbant, so you may want to add some more absorbant layers in. If just the material was wet, then it probably seaped through to the cotton layer, which would be wicking. Do you sew your elastic to the PUL side?  Because for me that helps to roll the leg hole in so it doesn't wick. Good luck!

CMcDougal
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 9:40 PM
2 problems...cotton outer will cause wicking unless your child is a particularly light wetter or your inserts are super absorbent.

Gerber prefolds are atrociously non absorbent. They're stuffed with polyester. Polyester repels liquid. Use 'em for dusting your tables and buy some Microfiber towels from the auto section. Same price, much more absorbent and they hold up better to washing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acurran88
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 7:01 AM

What should I use as an outer? Polyester?

BJDoubleTrouble
by on Apr. 24, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Honestly, I use cotton ALL the time with no wicking. I think you should just try getting rid of the gerber prefolds and boosting your absorbancy. But yes, poly prints would not wick because polyester is not absorbant. :)

monalisasus
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:03 AM
Ive heard bad things about gerber prefolds too. Cause rash due to pilling and dont really absorb. Try ozocozy better fit unbleached prefolds from amazon.com. Boil them first for a couple hours then they will quilt up and be really absorbant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)