Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HI new here! would like to make my own diapers, just need some tips!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

So my diapers are Tweedle bugs (the ones I bought) and I would like to make some that adjust in side with the snaps, but I would like them to be all in ones instead of pocket diapers so I dont have to separate the liner from the diaper and it all gets washed together. What I am wondering is, is is easier to put snaps on or would velcro work or get worn out too fast? and what goes in the middle of the diaper to collect all the pee? and what kind of elastic do you use for the legs? this is what they look like

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I really wouldn't recommend AIOs. They take forever to dry. Do an AI2 with a snap-in soaker instead; the snaps will often stay connected in the wash so you won't have to deal with sorting them out and snapping them back in.

Snaps last longer than hook and loop but are not quite as adjustable. They're also easier to wash (no worries about the hook snagging on other items), but take more time to fasten so it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer hook and loop because I hated trying to snap a diaper on DS. Then again, I'm the crazy sort who likes pins best of all! It's worth noting that "Velcro" is not something you want to use. Touchtape (stronger) or Aplix (softer) are great, but Velcro brand hook and loop falls apart quickly and is not worth the effort.

Inserts (aka "soakers" or sometimes "doublers" or "boosters" depending on context) can be made from all sorts of fabrics. Refer to this post for a description of common fabrics. Red = absorbent, blue = water resistant.

I use 1/4" or 3/8" braided StretchRite elastic. 1/4" is awesome for flannel pockets, but for thicker materials (or if you're going to sew down the length of the elastic instead of encasing) it's best to use 3/8" because it has better rebound.

sandrab2011
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:08 PM

THANK YOU!

Margarita907
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 1:40 AM
I see your questions were answered. This is a great place to get help and give help. We have a lot of fun sharing, learning , and just supporting each other. Welcome! Glad to have you.

Margarita Thomas, Proud Mom Designs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)