Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tips for Sewing Diapers with Cute Cotton print and hidden PUL...

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM
  • 17 Replies
  • 2068 Total Views

In my personal opinion, cotton outer with hidden PUL diapers are novelty diapers.  I can get 1-2 hours of use or one big pee with them vs 3-6 hours in a polyester outer diaper. Some work better than others, some seem bullet proof to one mama and the same diaper prooves a failure to another.  It comes down to a few factors on how or why it doesn't work...how and how much a baby pees, how the diaper fits, how much absorbancy, what style, sewing techniques and notions....  I'm making this post and hoping other sewing mamas will share their tips on how to make a successful cotton outer with hidden PUL diaper. 

Here are a few things I can think of...please add your comments and I'll update the list:

Sewing:

1. 100% polyester thread

2. needle size 10-12 (do you all think that matters?)

3. when trimming before sewing elastic on, I like to seperate the inner from the PUL in the elastic area and trim the cotton a tad shorter...not so short that it will fray when turned at the sewn edge, but shorter than the PUL so that when I top stitch there is no cotton on the inside of the pocket to touch the absorbant layers and wick on the front.

4.  when sewing the elastic, sew it on the inner fabric side (is this correct?  I always wonder if i'm doing it wrong, but I have success with this. please correct me if wrong)

5.  Topstitching...Make sure you are going wide enough that when you turn the diaper inside out after sewing you see no cotton inside the pocket to touch the insert.  But not so wide that your diaper looks funky.  I like to to also let the inner polyester fabric turn to the top so that it minimizes the chance of cotton being inside the diaper to wick pee.

6.  I never use a cotton inner with cotton outer, hidden pul. 

7.  Flannel is not a good choice for the outer print.  use cotton woven or cotton knit.

Tips for wearing:

1. Fit!  No gapping!  Also not too small!

2. Insert!  From Medium to large I've needed 6 layers of microfiber and 9 at night.  that's 2 microfiber towel or bumgenius inserts or 3.  or 1 folded over for smaller babies.  I can get away with 6 layers of OBF.  Flannel and knit (thin fabrics) generally need double that amount...so 10-12 layers for daily use and 15-18 for night time.  This all depends on the baby of course!

Troubleshooting:

1. Baby could be peeing so fast that it doesn't penetrate the wicking layer (fleece can be thick and notorious for this issue).  Try a bamboo or cotton insert on top of your pocket or make AI2s. 

Ok ladies...help me finish this list with some tips!

by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I have noticed that whether or not my all cottons leak depends on what they are stuffed with and how many layers.

OliWesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:04 AM

agreed!  What layers do you stuff?  I've also noticed that hemp without something else doesn't work as well because it doesn't absorb fast...but hemp with obf or microfiber is fine.  Also...zorb...it's a sponge, so if baby sits then the pee spreads out and can wick.

Quoting Polkadotted:

I have noticed that whether or not my all cottons leak depends on what they are stuffed with and how many layers.

OliWesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Just remembered one.  FLANNEL is a no no for the outer print with hidden PUL.  As MrsandMother always says, flannel is very thirsty and finds that pee to wick out.  It spreads quickly!

sarajordan2008
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM
With my heavy wetter...flannel is a joke, knits are usually a joke. I have very few dipes that have pul in them that are actually bullet proof :-/ now that I think about it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliWesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I find it best for super heavy wetters to wear fitteds with doublers and a good cover. 

hooraywesay
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 3:06 PM
Ball point needles are important too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliWesMom
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 9:59 PM
Why? I use universal.

Quoting hooraywesay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSulli2005
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM

I always layer it so that outer cotton and hidden pul are together, and then the inner layer is  facing the outer(usually cotton print). When I put elastic on I put it on the side with the PUL not on the inner fabric. So far my wicking issues are from when I used a cotton thread for the elastic topstitching (my machine was being a bia and wasn't working with polyester very well and I really wanted this diaper done cuz it was cute). I use a universal needle too. I also use butter suede for my inners and it's worked way better for my guy than the fleece inners that I have. I usually just use prefolds with mine, haven't gotten around to making my own soakers yet.

hooraywesay
by on Jul. 31, 2011 at 10:59 PM
Ball point needles don't tear the PUL and make it easier to re-seal.

Quoting OliWesMom:

Why? I use universal.

Quoting hooraywesay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliWesMom
by on Aug. 1, 2011 at 12:03 AM

That makes since!  What size do you use?

Quoting hooraywesay:

Ball point needles don't tear the PUL and make it easier to re-seal.

Quoting OliWesMom:

Why? I use universal.

Quoting hooraywesay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN