Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Machines!

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

My birthday is tomorrow and I've already got quite the amount of money to spend ;) I really need a new machine, I have like the cheapest Brother on the market, and although it works great for simple things it's inconsistent speed issues and tangling bottom thread when I have thicker polyester thread is driving me crazy and not working for diapers and a lot come out looking poorly sewn which I hate! being a perfectionist. Any machines out there that you ladies recommend that are around $150? I know that's not much money but I can spend a little more money if it's absolutely worth it. Thanks in advance!!

by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tdchandler
by on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Whew... it really depends on what you want to do with it. Are you wanting just a straight sewing machine? If you don't mind buying used, you could find something in your price range on eBay or Craigslist, maybe, but I've gone that route and won't from now on - classes and service are better through a dealer, imo. There's a wide price range for quality sewing machines, but I've always heard really good things about Brother. Have you considered getting it serviced?

Oh, Happy Birthday, btw!!!

happy birthday

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Aug. 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Craigslist/garage sales - OLD machines! Many of the newer machines are flimsy plastic; I'll take a solid metal machine over that any day. Those things are built to last. You may even be able to pick up an older machine for free and just pay to get it serviced; I got a Kenmore 158 and White 1265 (industrial!) for free from there that just needed a little TLC to get back in working condition.

My other machine is a Kenmore 15358. It was a good beginner machine, the portability is convenient, and it has a few very useful stitches but it's plastic. I got that ~3 years ago and am still using it, but it's a bit troublesome. That's likely because it could really use a servicing by now but it'd be cheaper to just buy a new one than service yearly since it only costs ~$100.

MamaSulli2005
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I thought about servicing it but review all say it'sa common occurance on the machine and considering it was like $80 two years ago I doubt itd be worth it. I never thought about the fact that they are all plastic nowadays. My mom has a Singer that she bought USED in the 80s that she's had to have serviced once like 3 years ago, but it runs well and she never has issues with it. I just want a basic machine that can handle diapers and I can make some comfy lounge pants and dresses for my kids. I don't sew bottons or anything (that's my moms job lol) so I don't care about how many steps the machine has to do it ;). Oh and I'd love one that had a button to lock the needle in the down position, I've seen like one singer that has it and thought it waspretty nifty for making more precise corners when stitching.

lilchikkis
by on Aug. 22, 2011 at 6:07 PM

i lovem y viking ! paid $350 for it but i love it!

c0farvee
by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I have a Kenmore too. I paid around $130 for mine about 8 years ago (it has something like 12 stitches). I am a quiilter too and have no issues with it.  But I very lucky to have a husband who has a talent for maintaining it more than I do. When it was acting finicky, he followed all the cleaning instructions (cleaned it with a can of air) and then oiled where the manual said to and everything else.

ALternatively, my mom bought a $1000+ Viking Quilting machine around the same time and hers is already giving her trouble.  And a friend who bought a $400 brother that is already having serious issues.  There is a lot to be said about the bottom end machines that are all mechanical and not digital (its not too hard to understand how they work and how to maintain them).

Enjoy the new machine, whatever you get!

notjstanothrmom
by on Aug. 26, 2011 at 11:12 AM

I don't know if you bought one already but I'd get the Pfaff Hobby lowest model. It's $200 and it is a real good workhorse machine without all the bells and whistles.

noonimama
by on Sep. 2, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I am probably one of the luckiest girls around when it comes to machines, mine only cost $10 at a second hand store. They had not a clue what they had. My mom has the same machine that she bought when we lived overseas in the early 80's. She gave close to a $1000 back then. I lucked out and got my PFAFF creative 1471. She had to replace her pedal and it cost $100. It was probably the most exciting thing we have ever found.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)