Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made my first wool longies!

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1102 Total Views

I'm 37.5 weeks and haven't sewed in a little while.  I think I'm getting one last burst here and I really REALLY want to make some longies and wool diaper covers (probably inspired by our forcasted temps for the rest of the week here in WI).  Anyway, I've been reading tutorials and I almost felted my sweaters but I've read on a mothering.com discussion that it may be better not to felt and just to lanolize (as to preserve some stretchiness).  Please tell me what you think works best!  I have two sweaters, a heavy weight bannana republic that is 100% lambswool and a lighter stretchier express sweater that is a blend of wool, angora, cashmere and viscose.  I would be planning on adding an additional layer of wool through the crotch of the lighter sweater.   

thanks in advance!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Albrightmama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I ended up trying them out as is.  Since they've been washed in the past they were a little "felted" but still stretchy.  I used an aristocrats wool soaker that i picked up on craigslist as a pattern and then added the appropriate length legs.  I think this should fit roughly 0-6 months depending on weather or not the legs/waist band are cuffed :)  If it's not "waterproof" enough I can always use covers under it, I just hope I won't have to.

Albrightmama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Here they are!  My first longies.  They are double layer through the soaker portion.

(sitting next to a wool soaker that is supposed to fit 7-20 pounds)

My daughter's newborn size doll wearing the longies

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I like felting. It thickens it up a little, and I haven't had problems with it not being stretchy enough. I make wraps though, so that may be a tad different.

They look good =)

BJDoubleTrouble
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Those are super cute! I used to felt all my sweaters, but I don't anymore. They work just as well unfelted since I always do the 2nd layer in the soaker area, and they do have alot more stretch unfelted. I also don't like how fuzzy they get when felted. Even after I shave them the pattern is never as nice looking as it is before felting.

That being said, if I come across a particularly thin or loosely-knit sweater I still felt it, but only on the gentle cycle so it felts a tiny bit.

Albrightmama
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for the insight on felting ladies!  I think I'm going to try this one as is, and felt if it is too leaky (understanding that it may not fit anymore :(  I have a much bigger sweater to play with and for that i may make one felted, one not and then I can try out both ways.

monalisasus
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:39 PM

I have only felted mine and they only work with a double layer in the wet zone still. I like felting them I can accidently wash and dry them and they will still look the same KWIM? I dont have to treat them specailly. I love wool its so eco friendly and antimicrobial! 

monalisasus
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Im also in WI and jsut busted out my fall clothes. I should sew some longies too, and Zoes napping now hmmm. :)

Albrightmama
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Quoting monalisasus:

Im also in WI and jsut busted out my fall clothes. I should sew some longies too, and Zoes napping now hmmm. :)

Yea for naptime sewing!  My almost 2.5 year old won't nap anymore (except rare days :(  Now I have string beads while I sew but it has it's limitations.  What general part of WI are you in?  I'm a bit northwest of Appleton.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)