Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wahoo!! Babyville is food safe!!

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 3346 Total Views

Just saw this post on their site and wanted to share!!!

Wow, there is lots of excitement in Babyville! Many of you have already found the products and are interested in the product certifications. That's great! Babyville Boutique products have been tested for and either meet or exceed CPSC and CPSIA certified lab testing requirements. You can be assured our products are BPA, PVC and Phthalate free. A certificate of conformity is available at http:/gcc.dritz.com/. You will need the product number or upc code from the package to access these.
gcc.dritz.com

Margarita Thomas, Proud Mom Designs

by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aydens_mom620
by on Sep. 15, 2011 at 5:55 PM

from what we found on the fda website in order for a product to be 'foodsafe' there couldnt be any crevices for food to get stuck. which i dont see how pul baggies would qualify, kwim?

Margarita907
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Let me start out by saying I respect you and your opinion.  I respect the research you did and quite frankly it is a good thing you did do it.  As parents and grandparents it is our responsibility  to care for the little people we love so much.  That said,  this is my opionion.  It is in no way intended to start drama, so please don not take it as such.   

I spoke to the engineer of another "pul" company and went over alot of that stuff in detail.  The specs are food safe.  We did go over "FDA"  things in detail as well.  There are tons of "holes" allover those guidelines on so many levels.  So basically, it depends on the individual and if they wish to  make items  to be used with food.    I use food safe pul to make items for dry snacks like cheerios, dehydrated fruit, and Other dry snacks.   I also make sure the bags I made are cleaned out well, and washed  very well.   But it really depends on the individuals.  If you wish to  consider the Crevices guideline,  than basically nothing  you can sew is going to be foodsafe. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Baggies are a lot more washable than many of the products I've seen in stores - sippy cups, water bottles, travel mugs, all manner of snack containers...the darned things refuse to come properly clean. And "crazy straws" - I'm not sure why those are supposed to be reusable when there's no proper way to clean them.

I don't really know anything about food container 'rules', but IMO baggies are a safer option than some of the store-bought alternatives. If it's a concern for anyone, just curve the corners instead of a 90* angle so crumbs won't get trapped in them.

CelestialGmom
by on Sep. 16, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Great idea on rounding the corners! 

aydens_mom620
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Well personally I dont have a problem using them, but for a retailer, "I" can not sell a product as foodsafe if it doesnt follow all the guidelines leaving room for someone to sue me kwim? I agree that there is no way to sew a product and follow those quidelines, even rounding corners you are always sewing on at least 2 sides, Im sure the pul itself is safe, no question there. Im questioning the constructioni of the baggies themself, and whether or not they are foodsafe, kwim?  If someone can show me something saying it IS, please do b/c I want to carry them in my store, but cant risk the liablity without it.

nak

Quoting Margarita907:

Let me start out by saying I respect you and your opinion.  I respect the research you did and quite frankly it is a good thing you did do it.  As parents and grandparents it is our responsibility  to care for the little people we love so much.  That said,  this is my opionion.  It is in no way intended to start drama, so please don not take it as such.   

I spoke to the engineer of another "pul" company and went over alot of that stuff in detail.  The specs are food safe.  We did go over "FDA"  things in detail as well.  There are tons of "holes" allover those guidelines on so many levels.  So basically, it depends on the individual and if they wish to  make items  to be used with food.    I use food safe pul to make items for dry snacks like cheerios, dehydrated fruit, and Other dry snacks.   I also make sure the bags I made are cleaned out well, and washed  very well.   But it really depends on the individuals.  If you wish to  consider the Crevices guideline,  than basically nothing  you can sew is going to be foodsafe. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Sep. 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM

How about a wrap? Then there are no crevices at all, you can lay it flat to wash and fold back up to hold things.

Margarita907
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

How about a wrap? Then there are no crevices at all, you can lay it flat to wash and fold back up to hold things.

Sounds like a good idea to me. 

Margarita Thomas, Proud Mom Designs

aydens_mom620
by on Sep. 19, 2011 at 4:24 PM

me too!

Quoting Margarita907:

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Sounds like a good idea to me. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers  Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Mommymo08
by on Sep. 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM

All good points.  And you can always sell them as reusable bags and let the buyer decide whether they wish to use them as food bags or toy bags ow whatnot.

monalisasus
by on Sep. 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I like this idea. :)

Quoting Mommymo08:

All good points.  And you can always sell them as reusable bags and let the buyer decide whether they wish to use them as food bags or toy bags ow whatnot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)