Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

outer cover

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 295 Total Views

Ok so once you have the waterproof part and the micro fleece part for the diaper can you use any kind of decorative fabric for the outside of the diaper to give it your own special touch?

by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
nangel5
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM

pretty much.   Some Babies have problems with cotton outers they can wick.  I personally use anything I want.  

jade_nicole234
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 4:10 PM

you can but some wick more then others

monalisasus
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:10 PM

it helps not to encase the elastic to prevent wicking or use the chelory method (i i think is the name for it)

Gonsar2011
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM

im lost what is wicking?

crunchy_momma2
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 7:10 PM
I'm even more lost. How do I incase my elastic. And wicking means pulling the moisture outward. Like we cant do cotton it gets wet so fast but anywhere where its minky or fleece its dry. And my 2 favorite diapers are cotton outer :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Wait, is this a cover or a pocket diaper? if its a cover i think you might be okay with any print on the outside if you use FOE. Encasing elastic is (on a pocket) once you have tacked or sewed the elastic down and you go to turn and topstich you encase the elastic by sewing along side it to create a channel for your elastic. that is usually where it wicks the most onto the cotton so if you just leave it alone and dont encase it it can help.

this is the chelory method, where you add some PUL to the leg so the cotton doesnt touch the legs (to help with wicking or pulling moisture) then you put a full layer of PUL behind it. 

Crunch momma, try using an insert that can absorb more with your cotton outer diapers, I made mine work that way. 

MamaSulli2005
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Quoting monalisasus:

Wait, is this a cover or a pocket diaper? if its a cover i think you might be okay with any print on the outside if you use FOE. Encasing elastic is (on a pocket) once you have tacked or sewed the elastic down and you go to turn and topstich you encase the elastic by sewing along side it to create a channel for your elastic. that is usually where it wicks the most onto the cotton so if you just leave it alone and dont encase it it can help.

this is the chelory method, where you add some PUL to the leg so the cotton doesnt touch the legs (to help with wicking or pulling moisture) then you put a full layer of PUL behind it. 

Crunch momma, try using an insert that can absorb more with your cotton outer diapers, I made mine work that way. 

I quite encasing my elastic just to save time, but never thought it'd cause the wicking. Good now I can go downstairs and make some more without the casing on these cute cotton prints I have!!!

Gonsar2011
by on Nov. 27, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Where do you ladies buy your fabrics and everything else you need?

chundley
by on Nov. 28, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I quit using any type of cotton as an outer, it leaked every time for me.  I now only use poly for an outer- fleece, minky, poly printed pul, etc.  I think I'm going to try to add back cotton just on the wings so it has the cute prints but no wicking in the legs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)