Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and Completely Lost :(

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 298 Total Views

Hi everyone! I found this group because I was searching cloth diapers. I am interested in starting, however I have NO idea whatsoever where to begin. I am hoping that you ladies can help. :)

I have 2 boys, ages 5 and 2. I have always used disposable diapers. Well, money is tight and I mean really tight. I just can't spend the money on diapers anymore. However, my 2 year old is not quite ready to potty train. So I am looking into cloth. I have thought about making my own, although I have never really sewn except in high school home economics, lol. I do have a machine that I am able to use and do remember somewhat how to do it.

I just have no idea, none at all when it comes to cloth diapers. Can you please help? I don't know any of the lingo or actually even how they work. I really need help!!! :) Also, can you tell me how much it would typically be to start cloth diapers? Both if I were to make them on my own or if I were to purchase them. I am also wanting overnight pants for my 5 year old. Thank you in advance!

by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kbloomhall
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Anyone? Please. I would really appreciate any help, any at all. :)

willsmoms
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM

There is a line at joanns and hobby lobby called babyville. They have a book with patterns and they sell the pul (waterproof material) You can use the coupons since it is hardly ever on sale. I have been making diapers and night time pull ups from theeir patterns. I have  not sewn much and I could pick it up and get it done. Hope that helps.

kbloomhall
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Thank you. That does help, except that I do not have a Joanns or Hobby Lobby close by, lol. I will look into it and see what I can find though. Thanks very much!

SewingMamaLele
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Well, the cheapest route is prefolds and covers.   You can expect to spend about $2.50 per prefold for a toddler... but you may only need 12-16 of them at this age.    Covers run $12-18 each, and this is where you can save by making them yourself.   You can get a yard or two of PUL , some fold over elastic and velcro for probably around $20-25 and make 5 or 6 covers. 

So... for a bare bones collection, you can probably get by for about $50-75 making some yourself (could make the inserts, too... but I think the price works out about the same as buying Prefolds), or about $100-125 buying everything pre-made.  

I'm making about 20 pockets/Ai2's and covers and spent a little under $200 on supplies so far. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
kbloomhall
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I did a little research today and I am thinking that I would rather go with AIOs. What is the difference between them and AIO2s? To me it would be easier, and yes more costly, than prefolds and such but I would rather make the initial investment than spend atleast $50 a month on diapers and pullups. Seems well worth it to me. Does anyone have a good site that could give me more information or a pattern to start with or anything? :) I am so excited to get started! I showed my oldest some of the cloth pullups that I found online today and he is so excited to be able to have different things on them! This is going to be a great process for us all. :)

Thanks!

monalisasus
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM

the cheapest to buy is getting some prefolds (not gerber, I orderes ozocozy ones from amazon) and three covers. you can buy a dozen diapers for 30 bucks I would get two dozen. And then covers are 15 each about. (thirsties wraps I like) and two snappies about five bucks(so you dont need pins). So a total of about 100 bucks.  it can get way more costly than that to buy fabric for that many diapers. unless you make fitteds out of old flannel sheets and covers out of old wool sweaters which I have done. 

monalisasus
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:18 PM

diapersewing.com is where I started

SewingMamaLele
by on Mar. 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Quoting kbloomhall:

I did a little research today and I am thinking that I would rather go with AIOs. What is the difference between them and AIO2s? To me it would be easier, and yes more costly, than prefolds and such but I would rather make the initial investment than spend atleast $50 a month on diapers and pullups. Seems well worth it to me. Does anyone have a good site that could give me more information or a pattern to start with or anything? :) I am so excited to get started! I showed my oldest some of the cloth pullups that I found online today and he is so excited to be able to have different things on them! This is going to be a great process for us all. :)

Thanks!

AIO's (depending upon how you make them) can have a much longer drying time since it's all one peice.   Pockets got around this by making the absorbant part of the diaper removeable, so it cuts drying time.   Ai2's solve another issue.... which is having to change the entire diaper every change.    Again, depending upon how you make them, often you can just change the insert (lay in, or snap in) and keep the cover (assuming the cover isn't soiled on).   This saves money since you need less diaper covers/shells.     I have found I like a variety to choose from!   :)  (though, not AIO's simply for the drying time issue!).

For resources on getting patterns, etc... I think there's info stickied in this group?   I always make my own pattern... but there are free ones out there, and you can buy them.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Mar. 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We've all been there. The stickies in this forum are packed with information - enough to make your head spin! Taking notes helps. And bring those notes with when you buy supplies!

Your LO is old enough trainers would be an option too. Cloth feels different wet than disposables, and the change can be enough to prompt potty learning. When DS was 26 months I started laying fleece liners into his flannel-inner diapers and he immediately stopped using diapers during the day. No 'training' involved, he was done just like that. Surprising, but nice =)

I would really suggest an AI2. AIOs take longer to dry. An AI2 with a snap-in soaker can be treated just like an AI2; a lot of times they won't come unsnapped in the wash. But they dry faster. There are several free patterns in the diaper directory; for the most part any pattern can be used for any diaper part, it's just a matter of how it's assembled and what materials are used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)