Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fabric question for fitteds

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 344 Total Views

so mil gave me a bunch of old fabric she has. i have no clue what types they are, she said a lot of it was flannel though. i want to try to make a fitted but not sure how exactly. could i just layer up the fabrics i have for the inside for my first time sewing one?

also, what good fabric would you recommend for a fitted?

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jeremmy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Just make sure its cotton. Some are better for others as far as how well they absorb. I wouldnt personally buy flannel for diapers (there are more efficient fabrics you can use), but its a great fabric to use if you have it on hand already. I would do a 3 layer body for a fitted, than a 3 layer trifold to lay or snap in. That way it can be folded to equal 9 layers (so 12 layers in the entire diaper). A newborn diaper would probably need a 2 layer trifold for less bulk. If any of the materials are polyester, you can use is as the outermost layer of the diaper.

I prefer bamboo or hemp fleece and bamboo or cotton velour for my materials. My baby is sensitive to a lot of fabrics, so my choices are limited. If she wasnt, I would also use minky as a stay dry inner, panne velour and suedecloth.  

.Angelica.
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM

how do i know if it's cotton?

Quoting Jeremmy:

Just make sure its cotton. Some are better for others as far as how well they absorb. I wouldnt personally buy flannel for diapers (there are more efficient fabrics you can use), but its a great fabric to use if you have it on hand already. I would do a 3 layer body for a fitted, than a 3 layer trifold to lay or snap in. That way it can be folded to equal 9 layers (so 12 layers in the entire diaper). A newborn diaper would probably need a 2 layer trifold for less bulk. If any of the materials are polyester, you can use is as the outermost layer of the diaper.

I prefer bamboo or hemp fleece and bamboo or cotton velour for my materials. My baby is sensitive to a lot of fabrics, so my choices are limited. If she wasnt, I would also use minky as a stay dry inner, panne velour and suedecloth.  

monalisasus
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Flannel is cotton :) if it repels water after its been washed its not cotton. 

monalisasus
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I think flannel works great. I made my first fitteds with old flannel sheets and old towels. www.diapersewing,com had a tutorial using flannel for a fitted. it just doesnt work good with a snappi so you have to use velcro or snaps. 

PoodleMum
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Lots of my first ones were flannel, it works ok but doesn't stay very soft.  I use a knit outer, poly fleece layer to keep the outside drier, and crushed panne inner so it's stay dry.  Depending on what size, I do the following.  For NB I use a sewn in soaker between the panne and fleece, hemp fleece between bamboo fleece.  For other sizes, I do a snap in soaker of bamboo fleece and hemp fleece topped with crushed panne

Jeremmy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:16 PM

You could try a burn test on a small swatch. Cotton burns, poly melts. Cotton makes fine, dusty ashes. Poly makes lumpy ashes because its basically melted plastic. Or so Ive been told. Im never lucky enough to have fabrics gifted to me ;-)

Quoting .Angelica.:

how do i know if it's cotton?

Quoting Jeremmy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)