Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Piog chemical burns

Posted by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 224 Total Views
I am new to the group, I have a 1 year old dd Laela Layne, she is who this post is about. Kenna is 4 and never had any issues with diapers. That being said I'm excited to start saving money an learning more about this process. I'd like to make my own for the time being so she doesn't have to be miserable any longer.

I need some advice from you mamas. I have been using disposable diapers for my youngest but now using all different brands baby girl is getting chemical burns. This all new to me shes 1 and just started having problems. I have tried every brand and her dr said after examining the spots that she is reacting to the diapers, after telling her that I've tried all the brands she said my only option is cloth. I change her as soon as her diaper appears wet or dirty and been using bag balm to help keep moisture off her bum.

That being said what cloth should I try. I've looked at sunbabies but it's so overwhelming trying to figure out what are best. I am also able to sew, what do you think is best?

Thanks all
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Kwald2508
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Here she is :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannanAjluni
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM
She's adorable!!!

How skilled are you at sewing? Do you have access to a fabric store?

Making your own is trial and error, for sure, but can be rewarding. It is time consuming, and requires a bit of research, but can be fun.

That being said: it sounds like you need help immediately and you can only make one at a time. I suggest either buying used dipes to begin or go to cottonbabies.com or even eBay to get some inexpensive diapers to get you thru until you can lake them. Also, WWW.HyenaCart.com and WWW.etsy.com are good places to look for premade diapers by other moms.

Good luck, and WELCOME!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kwald2508
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Ive been sewing since I was 4 so I'm pretty adept at sewing. I do have access to a fabric store. I have a nice sewing machine. I actually love to sew, so if I were able to make a few to save her the agony.

Quoting ShannanAjluni:

She's adorable!!!

Making your own is trial and error, for sure, but can be rewarding. It is time consuming, and requires a bit of research, but can be fun.

That being said: it sounds like you need help immediately and you can only make one at a time. I suggest either buying used dipes to begin or go to cottonbabies.com or even eBay to get some inexpensive diapers to get you thru until you can lake them. Also, WWW.HyenaCart.com and WWW.etsy.com are good places to look for premade diapers by other moms.

Good luck, and WELCOME!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kwald2508
by on May. 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM
Oh and thank you! I love her to death. Hence the reason I'll help her how I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannanAjluni
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Awesome! We have several tutorials linked up in our directory post, some cost, some don't. I like the La Di Da pattern for folks just starting out because it sews easy and is trim.

For making diapers you will need 3/8in elastic, POLYESTER thread (not cotton, it will cause wicking), a waterproof layer (JoAnns has several, Hancocks has 1), a wicking layer (fleece, suedecloth, microchamois), and absorbant material (microfiber is the cheapest, flannel, hemp, bamboo).

Quoting Kwald2508:

Ive been sewing since I was 4 so I'm pretty adept at sewing. I do have access to a fabric store. I have a nice sewing machine. I actually love to sew, so if I were able to make a few to save her the agony.

Quoting ShannanAjluni:

She's adorable!!!

Good luck, and WELCOME!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeremmy
by on May. 12, 2012 at 5:34 PM

There are many ways to do it. Youve gotten some great advice already. What I would do personally is go ahead and buy some indian prefolds from cotton babies. They are 1.50 each with free shipping. I would snappi (from amazon) them on her and not use anything over it around the house. That might help her heal up. Its not waterproof, so you will have to check frequently and change her. Thats what I do with my daughter, who has ultra sensitive skin. I use rump rub on her, as that doesnt build up on cloth. Most diaper creams build up and cause the diapers to repel.

As for sewing, you can either continue with the prefolds and sew up some covers (1 layer of PUL and sewing around it with FOE), or start sewing up other styles. I like fitteds, which are not waterproof and need covers just like prefolds do. Many people like ai2, which are waterproof and have a soaker layer snapped into the diaper (for easy cleaning and drying). Pockets are another great idea. Waterproof outer, wicking inner, and than you can stuff it with a homemade insert or use a prefold as the stuffing layer.

Google, youtube, and the stickies in this group with show you what all the styles are and should help you decide which ones will be good for you. Its addictive :-)

monalisasus
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I would perhaps go with a diaper that is organic bamboo or hemp just for its non-toxic antibacterial qualities. microfiber and pul have chemicals as well.  I would use fitteds and wool covers that way no synthetics are next to her skin. etsy is a great place to shop. Or you can make flannel fitteds out of old sheets (i like old sheets cuz i feel any chemical from the factory has been washed off). diapersewing.com is how I learned to make fitteds. you can make wool covers out of old sweaters as long at they are at least 80% wool and have been washed and dried to tighten the weave. lanolize your wool with the nipple cream lansingoh and warm water(i could explain all this further if you wanna make them)

so orgainc hemp or bamboo fleece with wool covers will be the most toxin free you can imagine. 

monalisasus
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

here are some examples: of course there are many people who sell them and many diff prices but this is a general look at what im talking about. you can make all of these things if you know how to sew. 

wool cover

wool shorties  look like from an old sweater

fitted diaper   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)