Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

completely new at this..

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 227 Total Views
I've never cloth diapered before.. And just found out I am pregnant, and want to make my own diapers. I have a sewing machine.. Nothing fancy. And i'm pretty sure I can remember how to use it. I really want to use ai2 diapers, but i'm sure those aren't something you can just jump into making. Eventually, i'm going to want to get a snap press, but want to start with Velcro until then.. Where should I start? I am going to brush up on my sewing skills by trying to sew some wipes today made from an old flannel sheet. Am I going to want to get a serger?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Jeremmy
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You dont need a serger. Ive heard they are pretty nifty though. When making diapers, use touch tape or aplix, not velcro. It will stand up to the frequent washing that diapers get. The easiest diapers to sew are fitteds, because you dont have to worry about waterproofness. There are a bunch of free patterns in the stickies on this page to help you. There is also a lot of good info. The easiest materials to start with are not stretchy. Flannel is a good, cheap fabric to practice with. I dont prefer it now because its not as efficient as some other fabrics and it gets a little crunchy after a while. You can get a cheap set of snap pliars and snaps from kamsnaps.com or assuntastore.com (takes a long time, but it helps a good cause). Aplix/touchtape tends to stick to diapers in the wash and make them pilly...

If you dont necessarily care about starting cheap, my favorite fabrics are bamboo fleece for the absorbent part, velour for the touching skin part (or minky...but my daughter is sensitive to it). And either pul on the outside to make it waterproof or a cute print fabric if you are just making fitteds. I also just started using zorb 2 diamond and like it. I havent used it long enough to have a very good opinion though. Its nice and trim, but the cuts I got from wazoodle that were supposed to be prewashed shrunk a ton and my stitching ripped....You will also need polybraid elastic (i like 1/4" for newborn/small and 3/8" for everything else). Use polyester thread so it doesnt wick (i like guttermanns).

monalisasus
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM

start by makeing fitteds. out of old flannel sheets. well at least thats how i learned. I used the tutorial on diapersewing.com. once you have made a few, making a Ai2 isnt so bad. I have a snap press and still like velcro :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN