Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing Inserts

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 375 Total Views

How often do you change your inserts with your diapers? I use flannels, terry from my towels and wash cloths and all in home items. But if I don't change my little one's inserts every hour or so, I'm in trouble. I can't afford to by zorb,microfleece etc. at this time. Any ideas?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PoodleMum
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Can you afford prefolds?  I got a bunch from Cottonbabies for $1.75 each and they have free shipping.  I try to remember to change every two hours since she has such a sensitive bum, but we got 3-4 hours at church.  I had zorb/flannel inserts and they leaked so much faster.  The only other material I trust is bamboo!  But that is pricey

vegamatic
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM

the zorb leaks? I just bought a bunch thinking it was the best stuff...bummer

Quoting PoodleMum:

Can you afford prefolds?  I got a bunch from Cottonbabies for $1.75 each and they have free shipping.  I try to remember to change every two hours since she has such a sensitive bum, but we got 3-4 hours at church.  I had zorb/flannel inserts and they leaked so much faster.  The only other material I trust is bamboo!  But that is pricey

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Since you're using household items, you may want to try stripping them of detergent/fabric softener residue.

http://www.littlefornow.com/how-to-strip-cloth-diapers.html
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i usually change every 2 hours.

back40mama
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I have a ton of prefolds, I do use them as well. But what is also a real bummer is when it's wet around the inner legs  so her outfits get damp too.

kameka
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM
I plan on sandwiching it in hemp/bamboo so hopefully it will help that.

Quoting vegamatic:

Quoting PoodleMum:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimsheamc
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Maybe you need more layers of the absorbant material?

perfect01
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

The zorb & microfiber are very absorbent, but they also have compression leak issues.  So to solve that, you put cotton or OBF (organic bamboo fleece) in the liners too.  Or you can use Warm & Natural cotton batting if you have that on hand.  I make my snap out inserts with top layer stay dry lining, 1 layer of flannel, OBF or 2 layers of left over batting, 1 layer micro terry & the bottom layer flannel or OBF.  Love how absorbent and get at least 3 hours and with a doubler, I have an overnight.

Quoting vegamatic:

Quoting PoodleMum:

back40mama
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM

How bulky does the diaper get though with all the layers? For me, the diaper is so bulky and unatractive. My daughter looks like I rolled up a blanket and shoved it down her pants!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)