Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gussets?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 206 Total Views

Anyone have a good tutorial for adding gussets to an AI2? My diapers are usually PUL outer and microfleece inner.

by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Nov. 10, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Here's a pocket gusset tut. Two more general tuts: ONE and TWO.

perfect01
by on Nov. 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I use gussets in all the diapers I make (AI2's).  Mine are PUL outer and inner (so they can be wiped out) with snap in petal inserts.  One of the things it took me a while to get was how to get the gusset to lay (play) nice when I was sewing the inner to the outer.  Finally solved it.  I actually use lastin elastic instead of FOE, so I put the lastin on the straight edge of the gusset using a 3 step zigzag stitch, turn it after the elastic is attached to enclose the elastic, then I baste the gusset in place on the leg openings of the outside piece with right sides of the fabric together.  When I sew the inner to the outer, it goes much smoother, then when I turn it right side out and top stitch the diaper, it naturally rolls the outer in the depth of the elastic on the leg openings so that you are sewing a channel for the elastic and getting the gussets to lay properly inside the leg, not jutting out.  By the way, I saw another way to do channel gussets on the inner lining with 2 rows of elastic sewn into the inner microfleece.  It was on Youtube and of course, I can't find it this morning.  Here is a video for quarter moon gussets though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKeMV7i38U

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)