Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Still learning...question

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 203 Total Views

When you make pocket diapers and AIO's, what materials do you use for the different layers? Inserts?

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:12 PM
I make pockets. I use microfleece, minky, or suedecloth for inner. Outer is either all pul or hidden pul with minky outer. I don't make inserts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cassie2115
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM

When you make the pockets, do you cut or just not sew the back shut?

Quoting Sarita33:

I make pockets. I use microfleece, minky, or suedecloth for inner. Outer is either all pul or hidden pul with minky outer. I don't make inserts.

mrsrobin
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM
I use minky, suedecloth, microfleece, our velour on the inside. PUL on the outside or sandwiched. You damn also make them with fleece on the outside as a night time diaper, but fleece is water resistant but not water proof.

There are plenty of fabrics you can use. I cut an extra flap on the inner and outer of my pockets and sew elastic in them first. Then turn and topstictch.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 6:37 PM

i'm not sure what everyone else does but when i cut out the pattern i leave about an inch of fabric where the opening goes, then i tack down the ends when i put the elastic in, then fold the fabric under and encase the elastic if that makes sense.

another way you could do it is the welted pocket opening, there are tutorials online if you google it.

Quoting Cassie2115:

When you make the pockets, do you cut or just not sew the back shut?

Quoting Sarita33:

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I prefer the welted opening to leading edge pockets. It looks nicer from the outside and doesn't interfere with elastic placement.

Quoting .Angelica.:

another way you could do it is the welted pocket opening, there are tutorials online if you google it.

perfect01
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:19 AM

When I make AIO's I use PUL for the outside, suedecloth for the inner layer against babies skin.  I don't use white cuz it gets so dingy, I prefer to use the doe color or something that matches the outer PUL.  For absorbancy layers I use either 2 layers or heavy microfiber terry and 2 layers of bamboo fleece, or I've used MF terry and 2 layers of warm and natural batting.  I've also used the hemp/bamboo fleece in some of the dipes and really like it, but I've found it hard to find lately.  I used some old t-shirts in 6 diapers I made that were for newborn size and that worked okay too.  I don't make pocket diapers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)