Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Removing snaps

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 199 Total Views
So my first diaper was almost a success, except that I put the snaps on backwards (so that the wings fold in on the inside not the outside... So now I want to remove them and start again, but that is proving to be very difficult... Any suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Clip as much as you can, trying to clip away at the middle where the cap squished and formed a little circle with fingernail clippers. It is super hard to get them off. I know kamsnaps had some methods listed on there website. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ma2Liam
by Diva In Training on Nov. 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM
I use a flat screw driver in the middle of the snap and hit it lightly but forcefully with a hammer until it breaks. If that makes sense. Otherwise you can cut the diaper. Easiest way for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Take the rubber stopper off your pliers and place the snap in the pliers so that it is on its side. A quick squeeze should pop it apart with out damaging the fabric. Occasionally the snap beaks but a pai of nail clippers at that point work great.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Here is another thought - is there enough room on the diaper to just add new snaps and leave the old ones that were put on wrong?  Kind of making it a fold over tabs so if you wanted to use it on an itty bitty you could make the waist even smaller.  If not, this is what I do.

If it is the socket side of the snap that you are removing, take the clear rubbery stop off of the post of your pliers, then use the post at a 45/60 degree angle to straighten the squished part of the center.  This makes a skinner area to pop off.  Then try the method of turning the snap into the pliers sideways and pop it off.  If that doesn't work, you can pry it apart with the small screw driver put between the 2 parts of the snap (the cap and the socket).

If it is the stud part of the snap set, I always have to pry mine apart by using the small screw driver that came with the pliers on the center of the stud (the part that came through from the cap) until it breaks.  But be really careful if you have to do that because you can really gouge yourself (speaking from experience)!

perfect01
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I was looking for some other info on Kamsnaps and saw where they recommend heating the prong part of the snap a little bit, then it just pulls apart.  Interesting concept.  It is on their website under tutorials I think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN