Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Making Cloth Wipes

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

I have some questions for you ladies.

One of my friend has asked me to make her 40 cloth wipes. She knows that I've never made them before, though I do sew. She wants cotton knit, she already has flannel and wants an alternative. I want to make her 10 'travel' sized (we're just going to say 6" by 6" for that size) and 30 bigger sized (lets just say 8" by 8" for those).

My questions: 

1) What do you think of those sizes? What sizes would YOU recommend?

2) I've done the math on it but, without saying how much yardage I have figured out, I would like to know how much yardage you would recommend for 40 2-layer (I have to do the turn and topstitched method) cotton knit cloth wipes in the dimensions I've stated above. I just want to make sure I'm not over or under estimating as she's paying for materials and lives half a country away. 

Thank you!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Nov. 28, 2012 at 8:52 PM

IMO 6x6 is fine. I actually prefer 5x6. 8x8 would be a bit unwieldy for me; I've never been fond of large wipes though.

I don't know about yardage. It would depend on the width of the fabric. Don't forget to account for seam allowance, though; you should be calculating based on 6.5 and 8.5" squares rather than 6 and 8.

.Angelica.
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 1:28 AM

i asked for sizes recommendation and was told 8x8 by almost everyone so i tried that size and it's honestly my favorite of my wipes :)

perfect01
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this

The 8 x 8 is standard size for dipe wipes.  That is the size that fits in a wipe carrier.  I've even made a few 8 x 12 - it is nice having the larger area when you are cleaning up the messes.  I don't care much for the smaller cloths I have that are baby wash cloth size.  As for yardage, most knits are 54" or 60" fabric.  Be sure to account for shrinkage since the cotton knit will draw up.  Calculating 8 1/2" cuts on 60" fabric my quilt calculator says your will get 60 cuts from 2.375 yards thus resulting in 30 - 2 layer 8" finished cloths.  You will need 0.625 yards for the 20 -6 1/2" cuts for 10 - 2 layer 6" finished cloths (also calculated on 60" wide fabric).  Myself, I always buy a little extra in case the fabric is cut crooked or shrinks a lot.  If you have extra fabric, just make a few more cloths.  You can never have too many IMHO.   Hope this helps.

Coliemum
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Thank you so much! This helped me tweek the yardage I needed to get and I'm absolutely postitive she'll love them!

Quoting perfect01:

The 8 x 8 is standard size for dipe wipes.  That is the size that fits in a wipe carrier.  I've even made a few 8 x 12 - it is nice having the larger area when you are cleaning up the messes.  I don't care much for the smaller cloths I have that are baby wash cloth size.  As for yardage, most knits are 54" or 60" fabric.  Be sure to account for shrinkage since the cotton knit will draw up.  Calculating 8 1/2" cuts on 60" fabric my quilt calculator says your will get 60 cuts from 2.375 yards thus resulting in 30 - 2 layer 8" finished cloths.  You will need 0.625 yards for the 20 -6 1/2" cuts for 10 - 2 layer 6" finished cloths (also calculated on 60" wide fabric).  Myself, I always buy a little extra in case the fabric is cut crooked or shrinks a lot.  If you have extra fabric, just make a few more cloths.  You can never have too many IMHO.   Hope this helps.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

perfect01
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

You are welcome.  BTW, I had some left over bamboo/hemp fleece from making diaper liners and I made that into washcloths.  We love, love, love them!  So if there is anyone out there who has bits and leftovers of the stuff, give it a try.  I sewed it with the fleecy side out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)