Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for newborn/small pattern

I'd like to make some newborn diapers that will be trim but allow some room for growth. I would love to find something that is already converted, but if not a pattern for a small diaper that I can convert into a newborn-small myself.

I am licenced for La Di Da, but I don't want to have to worry about adding more snaps or length to the tabs.

My ideal weight range is from about 7-18 lbs. but anything up to 15 would be good.

Thanks in advance!

And I did check out the sticky but everything was either OS, newborn, or the links were not working.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM
Replies (11-16):
perfect01
by Diva In Training on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I printed the newborn and then put snaps for a drop of 1" on the rise + an umbellical cord snap down in the center.  The small fits 12 to 22 lbs.  Our little one at 11 mos. is still wearing the smalls.

notjstanothrmom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Very cute! What length elastic do you use if you use polybraid?

Quoting perfect01:

I printed the newborn and then put snaps for a drop of 1" on the rise + an umbellical cord snap down in the center.  The small fits 12 to 22 lbs.  Our little one at 11 mos. is still wearing the smalls.

notjstanothrmom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Also, do you think if I took the small pattern and used adjsutable leg elastic that it would be small enough to fit a newbie? I would also like to make it a pocket, is there enough stuffing room for that?

Quoting perfect01:

The free pattern from Little Comet Tails (Tighty Whitey Hipster)  x-sm is for 7 to 15 lbs.  I made some recently with a single snap down to make them small enough for a tiny newborn (more along the size of the preemie pattern).  We love the trim fit and easy way of snapping this one.

perfect01
by Diva In Training on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't measure the elastic because I use lastin elastic - I just pull it as much as I can as I 4 step zigzag it.  As far as making it a pocket, this pattern is actually for an AIO.  The inner layer is actually cut 1/2" smaller than the outer to make a cupping effect.  I make it into an AI2 with a wipe out interior and snap in insert.  It is pretty narrow in the crotch, so trying to stuff an insert into a pocket is going to be an issue I think.  I am making O/S from Arfy now and adding another row of snaps for a nb rise.  Here is a picture of the difference in size of it at its smallest and the Tighty whitey snapped down to preemie.  I think that might work better for you to make a nb pocket with adjustable legs.  The link is 

#mce_temp_url#

go to OS 3 x3 roundwing.  Elastic on the legs of this O/S is 6" & the back is 5" with polybraid.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Also, do you think if I took the small pattern and used adjsutable leg elastic that it would be small enough to fit a newbie? I would also like to make it a pocket, is there enough stuffing room for that?

Quoting perfect01:

The free pattern from Little Comet Tails (Tighty Whitey Hipster)  x-sm is for 7 to 15 lbs.  I made some recently with a single snap down to make them small enough for a tiny newborn (more along the size of the preemie pattern).  We love the trim fit and easy way of snapping this one.

notjstanothrmom
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:47 PM

You're amazing! Thank you!

Quoting perfect01:

I don't measure the elastic because I use lastin elastic - I just pull it as much as I can as I 4 step zigzag it.  As far as making it a pocket, this pattern is actually for an AIO.  The inner layer is actually cut 1/2" smaller than the outer to make a cupping effect.  I make it into an AI2 with a wipe out interior and snap in insert.  It is pretty narrow in the crotch, so trying to stuff an insert into a pocket is going to be an issue I think.  I am making O/S from Arfy now and adding another row of snaps for a nb rise.  Here is a picture of the difference in size of it at its smallest and the Tighty whitey snapped down to preemie.  I think that might work better for you to make a nb pocket with adjustable legs.  The link is 

#mce_temp_url#

go to OS 3 x3 roundwing.  Elastic on the legs of this O/S is 6" & the back is 5" with polybraid.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Quoting perfect01:

perfect01
by Diva In Training on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Oops, back elastic on the O/S 3 x 3 Roundwing is 4" not 5.  Sorry, typo.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)