Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

extreme beginner!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 528 Total Views

My husband got me a sewing machine (very basic) to try and make cloth diapers. I've never sewn in my life. I have a few questions.

1. What exactly do I need? (I have lots of receiving blankets and old tshirts for some parts)

2. I'm not a fan of pockets, but are they the easiest? My husband seems to think I should learn to make prefolds first.

Could I maybe get an example of a t-shirt diaper with exactly what I need to buy?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
The easiest to start with is fitteds, but you would need a cover over them. I had never sewn before and I started with pocket diapers and did great. I find it easy just VERY time consuming.

Check out the stickys for info, patterns and tutorials, and I will come back in a bit to answer you better when I am home.

Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I started out making pockets. I had not sewn a single thing in my life before starting. youtube helped greatly. I watched soo many videos of how to sew. Also there is lots of great info in this group in the sticky posts. I now make AI2's and fitteds and hate making pockets now. lol

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I think I'm terrified of failing and looking like an idiot. I already feel like a bad wife when my husband is teaching me to sew!

Quoting .Angelica.:

I started out making pockets. I had not sewn a single thing in my life before starting. youtube helped greatly. I watched soo many videos of how to sew. Also there is lots of great info in this group in the sticky posts. I now make AI2's and fitteds and hate making pockets now. lol

.Angelica.
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:32 AM
2 moms liked this

i think the first few things you do may not look well but practice makes perfect and I know I personally continue to get better every time!

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I think I'm terrified of failing and looking like an idiot. I already feel like a bad wife when my husband is teaching me to sew!

Quoting .Angelica.:

perfect01
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Don't feel like a bad wife, you are a good wife since you are so willing to learn you'll even let him teach you, lol!  I have sewn since I was a little girl, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I thought making fitted AI2's was pretty easy.  The easiest to put together without having to turn and topstitch would be a 2 layer cover made from PUL with fold over elastic (FOE) to sew it together and gather where it needs to be gathered.  Here is a picture of one I made for a dolly, but it is the same thing with a diaper cover.  Oh, and by the way, I would not make prefolds, but then I hate prefolds.  I prefer the peanut shaped inserts.  This is an AIO that I used Warm & Natural batting and 2 layers of flannel in.  It was for a baby alive doll so I didn't worry a lot about it being to absorbant.  It is a preemie size diaper.

Hannahsmommy816
by Diva on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:48 PM

youtube.com will also be your friend! i have found a few good beginner tutorials on there. good luck!

OS pockets are pretty simple to make

perfect01
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

I've learned so much from youtube!  Mostly before I found this group, lol!  It helped me convert BG 3.0 from velcro to snap - 15 diapers and no thumb nails left later, I figured out I use my thumbs more for tools than you would ever think!  I am so thankful for the many people who are so willing to share their knowledge.  I just got that really happy feeling just thinking about it.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

youtube.com will also be your friend! i have found a few good beginner tutorials on there. good luck!

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I'm watching youtube and looking at the tutorials on here. I'm still overwhelmed by all of what's available. I just need specific instructions as to exactly what to buy. I don't even know how to set my machine. Heck my dad used to hand sew buttons for me. I asked for the sewing machine and now I'm scared to use it. I have problems with coordination and I'm afraid of messing up. :(

Quoting perfect01:

I've learned so much from youtube!  Mostly before I found this group, lol!  It helped me convert BG 3.0 from velcro to snap - 15 diapers and no thumb nails left later, I figured out I use my thumbs more for tools than you would ever think!  I am so thankful for the many people who are so willing to share their knowledge.  I just got that really happy feeling just thinking about it.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

It's hard because I need to know EXACTLY what to buy and I need concise step by step directions with pictures. I'm ADD and too many words is hard to deal with.

Quoting perfect01:

Don't feel like a bad wife, you are a good wife since you are so willing to learn you'll even let him teach you, lol!  I have sewn since I was a little girl, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I thought making fitted AI2's was pretty easy.  The easiest to put together without having to turn and topstitch would be a 2 layer cover made from PUL with fold over elastic (FOE) to sew it together and gather where it needs to be gathered.  Here is a picture of one I made for a dolly, but it is the same thing with a diaper cover.  Oh, and by the way, I would not make prefolds, but then I hate prefolds.  I prefer the peanut shaped inserts.  This is an AIO that I used Warm & Natural batting and 2 layers of flannel in.  It was for a baby alive doll so I didn't worry a lot about it being to absorbant.  It is a preemie size diaper.

perfect01
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Here's the link on Cuties with Cloth Booties group where they give a tutorial with pictures about using a t-shirt for a diaper.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/34752/forums/read/13313548/Stretch_Your_Diaper_Stash_aka_How_to_use_a_Tshirt_as_a_CD_Pics_links

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)