Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband got me a sewing machine (very basic) to try and make cloth diapers. I've never sewn in my life. I have a few questions.

1. What exactly do I need? (I have lots of receiving blankets and old tshirts for some parts)

2. I'm not a fan of pockets, but are they the easiest? My husband seems to think I should learn to make prefolds first.

Could I maybe get an example of a t-shirt diaper with exactly what I need to buy?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Replies (11-19):
perfect01
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Okay, I get what you are saying.  Let's decide on a specific diaper you would like to make.  I think making a simple fitted would be best.  You will be able to use your old recieving blankets, etc. to make it.   I will get the pattern and post it here for you with the amount of elastic you need and what kind of elastic.  We will make the first one to be used with either pins or a snappi so that you don't have to buy snaps and a snap plier and learn all that.  Are you okay with that?

Quoting MonicaV1982:

It's hard because I need to know EXACTLY what to buy and I need concise step by step directions with pictures. I'm ADD and too many words is hard to deal with.

Quoting perfect01:

Don't feel like a bad wife, you are a good wife since you are so willing to learn you'll even let him teach you, lol!  I have sewn since I was a little girl, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I thought making fitted AI2's was pretty easy.  The easiest to put together without having to turn and topstitch would be a 2 layer cover made from PUL with fold over elastic (FOE) to sew it together and gather where it needs to be gathered.  Here is a picture of one I made for a dolly, but it is the same thing with a diaper cover.  Oh, and by the way, I would not make prefolds, but then I hate prefolds.  I prefer the peanut shaped inserts.  This is an AIO that I used Warm & Natural batting and 2 layers of flannel in.  It was for a baby alive doll so I didn't worry a lot about it being to absorbant.  It is a preemie size diaper.

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I like that! Hubby thinks I need to start by making prefolds, but I think I can manage this!

Quoting perfect01:

Okay, I get what you are saying.  Let's decide on a specific diaper you would like to make.  I think making a simple fitted would be best.  You will be able to use your old recieving blankets, etc. to make it.   I will get the pattern and post it here for you with the amount of elastic you need and what kind of elastic.  We will make the first one to be used with either pins or a snappi so that you don't have to buy snaps and a snap plier and learn all that.  Are you okay with that?

Quoting MonicaV1982:

It's hard because I need to know EXACTLY what to buy and I need concise step by step directions with pictures. I'm ADD and too many words is hard to deal with.

Quoting perfect01:

Don't feel like a bad wife, you are a good wife since you are so willing to learn you'll even let him teach you, lol!  I have sewn since I was a little girl, so it isn't a fair comparison, but I thought making fitted AI2's was pretty easy.  The easiest to put together without having to turn and topstitch would be a 2 layer cover made from PUL with fold over elastic (FOE) to sew it together and gather where it needs to be gathered.  Here is a picture of one I made for a dolly, but it is the same thing with a diaper cover.  Oh, and by the way, I would not make prefolds, but then I hate prefolds.  I prefer the peanut shaped inserts.  This is an AIO that I used Warm & Natural batting and 2 layers of flannel in.  It was for a baby alive doll so I didn't worry a lot about it being to absorbant.  It is a preemie size diaper.

perfect01
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay, I will get on it.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

I like that! Hubby thinks I need to start by making prefolds, but I think I can manage this!

Quoting perfect01:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting perfect01:

perfect01
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I need to know what size diaper you want to make.  How big is your baby?

Quoting perfect01:

Okay, I will get on it.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

she is almost 17lbs. she's long and lean.

Quoting perfect01:

I need to know what size diaper you want to make.  How big is your baby?

Quoting perfect01:

Okay, I will get on it.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting perfect01:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting perfect01:

perfect01
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Okay, I found a free pattern I think will work for you.  It is a one size, so after you make the fitted, depending on how long your DD is in the rise, you are going to be able to fold over the top and maybe even fold down the back and pin the diaper closed or use a snappi.  You will need a cover with the diaper to make it wet proof, but if you are just using them around the house, you will be able to just change when damp on the outside.  I'll have you make an additional soaker so it isn't too thick to dry in a reasonable amount of time.

Here is where the pattern is:

http://prefold2fitted.blogspot.com/2012/10/online-free-downloads.html

Go down the page to O/S T & T Cover.  double click it and it will come up with a PDF.  Print out the pattern and tape all four pages together to get a full diaper pattern.  I am going to send you a private message for the rest of the instructions so we don't take up so much room here.

sherryanngarcia
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 7:01 PM

you need these items:

Pul fabric, elastic, velcro (soft side and hard side) or snaps, cotton fabric or flannel, thread,

I'm an extremely crafty person.  I sell my diapers and covers on ebay.  you can send me a personal message if you need for more questions.  I also have patterns for my diapers, I can make you a diaper sewing kit to make it easier if you need me too.

MonicaV1982
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Thanks! Can I message you next month or so? I'm being real stingy with money since I'm taking DD on a cross country train trip to meet Grandma in a few weeks. :)

Quoting sherryanngarcia:

you need these items:

Pul fabric, elastic, velcro (soft side and hard side) or snaps, cotton fabric or flannel, thread,

I'm an extremely crafty person.  I sell my diapers and covers on ebay.  you can send me a personal message if you need for more questions.  I also have patterns for my diapers, I can make you a diaper sewing kit to make it easier if you need me too.

sherryanngarcia
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

You can definitely contact me when you are ready.   whenever I don't have orders to sew I do other things like clean, and stare at my sewing machine trying to make myself sew diapers to list on ebay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN