Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hemp/tencel?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 170 Total Views

anyone use it for diaper making?

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
supamomma02
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:54 AM
No, but I've always wanted to try hemp for inserts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I know hemp is used mostly as boosters since it is very slow absorbing. It would at least need to be paired with something quick absorbing. I am not sure what tensel is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM

this is what the listing says about it. and i was thinking of putting a layer with my SHOBF

Tencel is created from the lyocell fiber, and is becoming increasingly popular as an eco-friendly alternative to fabrics such as polyester, nylon, and even cotton.Tencil / lyocell is 100% biodegradable, and will decompose within 8 days under the right conditions. Products made from tencil and other lyocell fabrics can also be recycled. Tencel fabric has a very luxurious feel to it.

Tencel Properties:
- Natural cooling - Temperature control
- Outstanding moisture management - absorbs 50% more moisture than cotton
- Inhibits bacteria growth
- Smooth fiber structure
- Irritation free
- Suitable for sensitive skin - The combination of a smooth fiber surface and excellent moisture absorption creates a positive environment for healthy skin, making TENCEL® ideal for anyone with sensitive skin.
- Comfortable. Similar to rayon in feel. Soft, breathable, lightweight and comfortable.
- Lasting. Shrink-resistant, durable and easy to care for. It is an exceptionally strong fiber, both wet and dry.
- Color rich. Tencel was created with color in mind, because of the fibers’ high absorbancy. The fabrics can be dyed to high quality standards.
- Easy to maintain. Tencel garments are easy to pack, resist wrinkling and dry quickly. Most are machine washable, although different garment constructions may have specific cleaning requirements.
- Natural. Made from the natural cellulose found in wood pulp. The fiber is economical in its use of energy and natural resources, and is fully biodegradable.

Quoting Sarita33:

I know hemp is used mostly as boosters since it is very slow absorbing. It would at least need to be paired with something quick absorbing. I am not sure what tensel is?

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Sounds good but I don't know anything about it. Maybe ask in cuties if anyone has used it.

Quoting .Angelica.:

this is what the listing says about it. and i was thinking of putting a layer with my SHOBF

Tencel is created from the lyocell fiber, and is becoming increasingly
popular as an eco-friendly alternative to fabrics such as polyester,
nylon, and even cotton.Tencil / lyocell is 100% biodegradable, and will
decompose within 8 days under the right conditions. Products made from
tencil and other lyocell fabrics can also be recycled. Tencel fabric has
a very luxurious feel to it.

Tencel Properties:
- Smooth fiber structure
- Irritation free
-
Suitable for sensitive skin - The combination of a smooth fiber surface
and excellent moisture absorption creates a positive environment for
healthy skin, making TENCEL® ideal for anyone with sensitive skin.
- Comfortable. Similar to rayon in feel. Soft, breathable, lightweight and comfortable.
- Lasting. Shrink-resistant, durable and easy to care for. It is an exceptionally strong fiber, both wet and dry.
-
Color rich. Tencel was created with color in mind, because of the
fibers’ high absorbancy. The fabrics can be dyed to high quality
standards.
- Easy to maintain. Tencel garments are easy to pack,
resist wrinkling and dry quickly. Most are machine washable, although
different garment constructions may have specific cleaning requirements.
-
Natural. Made from the natural cellulose found in wood pulp. The fiber
is economical in its use of energy and natural resources, and is fully
biodegradable.

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thanks. I don't usually get much of a response there so I asked here. lol I tried googling it but not much came up. Maybe I'll ask on the simplifi facebook page and see if anyone knows about it.

Quoting Sarita33:

Sounds good but I don't know anything about it. Maybe ask in cuties if anyone has used it.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Tencel is created from the lyocell fiber, and is becoming increasingly
popular as an eco-friendly alternative to fabrics such as polyester,
nylon, and even cotton.Tencil / lyocell is 100% biodegradable, and will
decompose within 8 days under the right conditions. Products made from
tencil and other lyocell fabrics can also be recycled. Tencel fabric has
a very luxurious feel to it.

Tencel Properties:
- Smooth fiber structure
- Irritation free
-
Suitable for sensitive skin - The combination of a smooth fiber surface
and excellent moisture absorption creates a positive environment for
healthy skin, making TENCEL® ideal for anyone with sensitive skin.
-
Color rich. Tencel was created with color in mind, because of the
fibers’ high absorbancy. The fabrics can be dyed to high quality
standards.
- Easy to maintain. Tencel garments are easy to pack,
resist wrinkling and dry quickly. Most are machine washable, although
different garment constructions may have specific cleaning requirements.
-
Natural. Made from the natural cellulose found in wood pulp. The fiber
is economical in its use of energy and natural resources, and is fully
biodegradable.

Quoting Sarita33:

supamomma02
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't know that about hemp. Thanks fr that info.

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I don't actually find that to be true about hemp.  I have some stuffins and I use hemp/bamboo fleece a lot to make inserts and I love how well it absorbs and how much it hold.   Of course, that is just my opinion.  Here is a video I saw on Youtube that shows a comparison of absorbancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=oK29Mt9ZTAk

Quoting Sarita33:

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Hemp absorbs a ton but if used alone, it is slow to absorb. I hear that the hemp/fleece combo is awesome. Have you heard of the other stuff she asked about, tensel? I am curious about it.

Quoting perfect01:

I don't actually find that to be true about hemp.  I have some stuffins and I use hemp/bamboo fleece a lot to make inserts and I love how well it absorbs and how much it hold.   Of course, that is just my opinion.  Here is a video I saw on Youtube that shows a comparison of absorbancy.

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Nope.  I was surprised when I read about the 3 top renewable natural fibers that bamboo, although plentiful and renewable is actually quite an environmental issue with how they have to process it.  It seems for every up I find a down eventually, lol! 

Quoting Sarita33:

Hemp absorbs a ton but if used alone, it is slow to absorb. I hear that the hemp/fleece combo is awesome. Have you heard of the other stuff she asked about, tensel? I am curious about it.

Quoting perfect01:

Quoting Sarita33:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)