Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shell Diapers!?!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

Was curious if anyone uses these types of diapers?  I have the babyville boutique pattern book and my mother and i have made a few of these.  As I am making more Im wondering if that is too much bulk inside the diaper!?!  I know all  diapers are a little bulky but just trying to think ahead before I make too many.  The reason I chose these diapers is because I figure with the prefolded that I wouldnt have to have a whole new diaper each time, just a shell maybe..or am I thinking about this all wrong...  Thanks..I am new to all this!!!

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
perfect01
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Basically, it sounds like you are talking about a cover.  A lot of moms love using covers and prefolds, especially with the newborns.  I take it a step further and make AI2's with the wipe out interior and snap in inserts so they stay very trim.  Sounds like you and your mom will be having fun making more diapers.

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Those are similiar to commercial flips. So basically a cover and you change the insert. So you can reuse the cover a few changes just wiping it out for pee. If poop gets on it I use a new one. You will always use a new prefold or insert. Have fun sewing and any questions, ask away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasrtamy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

*Its not the best picture but we are out of state so I dont have any with me. 

I used the monkey PUL material for the cover per say.  And then the insert boat (thats what my mom and I call it :) is also made out of the yellow PUL material and we put the prefolds inside the boat.  And we do have it marked for snaps on them we just havent added them yet. Does that seem right like you wonderful women are talking about? 

So perfect01 are these like the ones you make? If so they arent to bulky?  Do you use just one of the cloth diapers in the boat?

Thanks again for all the help ladies..first time mom and I dont know any of my friends that are doing cloth diapers.

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Those are like G diapers. I don't use those. And the ones perfect01 makes don't have the inner shell. They have the outer cover and snap in inserts. I would make a few to aee if you like them before making a ton. I honestly would skip the inner shell thing and just use the cover.

Quoting kansasrtamy:

*Its not the best picture but we are out of state so I dont have any with me. 

I used the monkey PUL material for the cover per say.  And then the insert boat (thats what my mom and I call it :) is also made out of the yellow PUL material and we put the prefolds inside the boat.  And we do have it marked for snaps on them we just havent added them yet. Does that seem right like you wonderful women are talking about? 

So perfect01 are these like the ones you make? If so they arent to bulky?  Do you use just one of the cloth diapers in the boat?

Thanks again for all the help ladies..first time mom and I dont know any of my friends that are doing cloth diapers.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasrtamy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Ok I think I understand what you are saying..like you make a flannel or microfleece insert with snaps and add snaps to the cover..and wipe the cover if its a number one and a whole new diaper for a number two ;)

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this
You can use inserts, tri folded prefolds, or over a prefold that is pinned or snappied. Microfleece will make your insert have a stay dry feel but you need an absorbant fabric underneath it.

Quoting kansasrtamy:

Ok I think I understand what you are saying..like you make a flannel or microfleece insert with snaps and add snaps to the cover..and wipe the cover if its a number one and a whole new diaper for a number two ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Here are pictures of mine.  They are turned and topstitched, but work well with FOE too.  I just don't care for the FOE.  This one is a little NB I just made for my DH's nephew's baby.  The insert looks huge in the picture, but it actually tucks right into the diaper cover.  You are seeing extra double snaps on this insert because I messed up placing them and had to add another set.  I was going to pull them out, but didn't want to leave holes.

kansasrtamy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Perfect01. That's cute!   Just curious.. What material did you all use for the insert?  Is the cover just PUL material?  Sorry for all the ?s there are just soooo many ways to do these CDs. Lol. 

perfect01
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:47 PM

The cover is a solid brown PUL I bought a diaper cut from Kidsinthegarden.com.  It was enought for 2 nb diapers.  The cover is lined with white 2mil PUL with the laminate side facing out so you can wipe down the diaper.  The insert is 2 layers zorb sandwiched in 2 layers of hemp fleece and topped with minkee.  I also top many of my inserts with suede cloth instead of minkee.  I think I may have done overkill with the 2 layers of zorb on these.  That is usually what I do with my medium and large inserts, so I forgot and did it with the newborn.  I originally only put 1 layer zorb in the newborn size inserts and they were plenty absorbent for a little one.

Quoting kansasrtamy:

Perfect01. That's cute!   Just curious.. What material did you all use for the insert?  Is the cover just PUL material?  Sorry for all the ?s there are just soooo many ways to do these CDs. Lol. 

kansasrtamy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Thanks ladies for all the help.  I really appreciate it!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)