Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to try a wool soaker today

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 146 Total Views

After seeing the post for making a soaker the other day, I decided to try one.  I have a felted sweater that I offered FFS on CM, but no takers, so today I will cut out a shorty NB and see how it goes.  I'll post pics later.

ETA:  Here's one done!  Learned NB can be a challenge to use felted wool on the leg cuffs, but then changed how I was doing them and it worked great!  I got 3 out of a size medium button front sweater.  I used the neck, sleeve  and bottom ribbing for the legs and the waistband.  It worked great!  The stitching for the soaker wet zone shows in the picture, but not so much in person.

Back of Soaker

Front of soaker

by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
PeakMommy
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Can't wait to see! I'm always overwhelmed by talk of wool, although it's probably Simple. What does "felted" mean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Felted is when you wash a 100% or even for that matter an 80% wool sweater in hot water, then dry it on hot. It shrinks the fibers and makes it look like "felt". I just read a momma's post where she doesn't bother to felt the sweater and has had good luck with it not leaking, so next time I'm going to try that. We can get beautiful wool at our thrift stores around for like $1 to $3 each. I just got through cutting out. This one sweater (it was a size M) cut out 3 NB shortie soakers. The babies I'm making them for are due in the spring, so I didn't think they would need the longies. Triplets! I'm having fun making a surprise gift for their momma.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)