Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so confused! piog

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 260 Total Views

I was trying to get information on how many diapers I need for a newb and older baby (I figured it out).

But now my head is spinning. During the Black Friday sale at Joann's I bought a TON of flannel (we're talking like 5 bolts plus tons of old flannel sheets to use..) to use to make diapers. The more research I do the more it seems I shouldn't be using flannel for the diaper. I needed a semi cheap way to do this.

**I have a pattern to make OS AIO pockets or OS pocket fitted and I have a torn apart fitted/contour that can be used as a template.**

Here's what I'm confused about:

soakers: Can I make my soakers out of flannel and have my inner diaper material flannel too? That's how my fitteds/contours are made (gifted to me) and they worked fine from what I remember (only used them off an on for a few months before I gave up with ds).

Later on when I need doublers, will my prefold stash work okay for that or will I need the bamboo/hemp (high quality material) soakers?

Will normal fleece (stuff from Joanns) work ok in place of PUL or as a seperate seperate cover?

I'm not looking to sell these later. I'm really looking for a [fairly] cheap way to get my stash built.

by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
PeakMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 6:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have ALL your answers but...
Prefolds definitely work as doublers, you don't NEED bamboo. I love bamboo but only when I buy a diaper, I've been too "cheap" to buy it myself.
Fleece can be used as a cover. I'm making newborn covers from fleece and I have some pocket diapers made of just fleece and no pul. Two layers of fleece is fairly water resistant, although not completely waterproof. Joanns Blizzard fleece is best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Jan. 21, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm on limited time this morning, so I will try to get back with you if you have more questions, but, the short answer is yes, you can use your flannel for some parts of the diaper.  It just takes more layers to be as absorbent as other popular diaper fabrics.  Consider that bamboo absorbs 4 times as much as cotton and that helps you know what to add to your diaper for stuffing.  So instead of just 2 layers in the soaker, you will want to use at least 4.  I used 6 for removable soakers.  I used my flannel also to make nice big swaddling blankets, burp rags, baby wipes and changing table covers/pads.  You can also use it to make the baby the cutest rag quilt that it will love for years to come cuz they are oh so soft and cozy!

Hannahsmommy816
by Diva on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

You can definitely use all the flannel to make fitteds or pocket fitteds!

i have also used flannel as doublers.....anywhere from 4-6 layers work, sometimes i double up (2 in a diaper) if i have them on hand.....to go on top of my other inserts or inside prefolds

yep fleece should work just fine as covers

perfect01
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM
I was in such a hurry yesterday when I posted I forgot to tell you to be sure to prewash your flannel for 2 reasons. First it will shrink and draw up quite a bit and that way when you cut it out for your diapers you are getting what size your pattern says you will get. Second reason to prewash is that fabric has chemicals in it from not only the dying process, but they often treat it with Fermaldyhide to keep bugs from destroying it, so you really don't want to be handling that. The other thing is to obtain the maximum absorbency with cotton flannel, you want to wash and dry it at least 3 or 4 times before use. So, I would prewash it before cutting it out. Then I would assemble the diapers, then I would wash it another 2 or 3 times. Good luck!
ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Thank you!!! I did prewash my flannel already so I will make a note to prewash another few times after diapers are made. I greatly appreciate all the help!

Quoting perfect01:

I was in such a hurry yesterday when I posted I forgot to tell you to be sure to prewash your flannel for 2 reasons. First it will shrink and draw up quite a bit and that way when you cut it out for your diapers you are getting what size your pattern says you will get. Second reason to prewash is that fabric has chemicals in it from not only the dying process, but they often treat it with Fermaldyhide to keep bugs from destroying it, so you really don't want to be handling that. The other thing is to obtain the maximum absorbency with cotton flannel, you want to wash and dry it at least 3 or 4 times before use. So, I would prewash it before cutting it out. Then I would assemble the diapers, then I would wash it another 2 or 3 times. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adams_Rib
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Another option could be a QSFW

Jeremmy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM
1 mom liked this

You can use flannel. It just tends to get a big crunchy. It also isnt stretchy, so it wont fit as long as a stretchy diaper would. It isnt as absorbent as other materials, so you need more in comparison. I have heard of quite a few people who make it work for a budget diaper option though.

Prefolds are awesome doublers.

Joann fleece works, but it is thinner and not as good quality as malden mills. I would advise you to put a double layer in the wetzone for overnights if you are making pants or short. For outter diaper layers, I would say 2 layers is a good idea.

perfect01
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Some fitteds I made out of flannel with zorb and warm and natural soaker layers

ballerina.2006
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Awesome! Thank you so much. You have been so helpful :)

Quoting perfect01:

Some fitteds I made out of flannel with zorb and warm and natural soaker layers

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)