Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

has anyone made replacement rocker/glider cushions? OT

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

looking to make some for a friend to match their nursery and had a couple questions....2 pieces or 1 (I think what they have on it currently is outdoor furniture one piece) and what to use for filling....fiber fill? Foam? batting?  a comnination???  any tutorials out there (dont think I want to do box/bolstered)

THANKS!!

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:36 PM
I have not because I think it to be too much work LOL. I would do 2 pieces, use foam for the seat part and batting or fiber fill for the back rest.

When ours needed replacement I bought tge lawn chair pads too haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommymo08
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM

well I could just make apillowcase stule slipcover for what they have, but it looks pretty limp....I was considering doing that and a lumbar pillow....not sure yet.  THANKS

Quoting Sarita33:

I have not because I think it to be too much work LOL. I would do 2 pieces, use foam for the seat part and batting or fiber fill for the back rest.

When ours needed replacement I bought tge lawn chair pads too haha

perfect01
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I have done 2 different gliders. I just used the old cushions, took apart the covers and used that for a pattern, then covered the old forms with the new fabric. It is really hard to get a pattern to fit each chair because they may look alike but they usually fit differently is some way. The last one I did didn't have a back cushion, so I bought one from a furniture retailer (very expensive) and it still didn't fit right and gave a horrible back ache to anyone sitting in it.
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Any reupholstery work I've seen used the furniture itself to base the pattern off of. Outdoor furniture is generally several thick layers of polyester batting sewn together. Indoor furniture tends to be stuffed with a foam insert. Foam can be pricey though. It would be more cost-effective (and easier) to just make a slipcover for their existing cushions with a zipper at the back for appearance's sake and easy removal to wash. It will likely get spit up on at some point, after all. If you don't want to do a zipper you could try knotting it like a no-sew blanket. If the chair has a spindled back, leave the ties a little long so they can also be secured to the chair to keep the cushion in place; our glider cushion likes to slide right off!

littlelambe2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:56 AM

I have. I like the two piece better than the one piece (my mom did a one piece back in the day and after a bit of use, it looks sloppy.)

I used marine high dense foam for the cushion. Bought it at Joanne's when it was 50% off (happens about 6x a year). Do not skimp on the cover fabric. Buy upholstery fabric to get best wear. Scotch guard it when it's done. Don't forget to add a zipper in the back seam so you can take it off to wash it.  I recovered my rocker about 3 years ago and it's still in awesome shape. 

I didn't use a tutorial. I just traced the shape of the old cushion onto the new foam, cut it out a bit larger, then set it in the rocker to do any trimming that was needed. Then I used the foam piece as a guide to cut out my fabric cover, adding the thickness of the cushion as well as seam allowance. 

Mommymo08
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

thanksladies...Idecided to jus d the slip cover..if they decide the cusion is to worn out, they can alwas replace with a new one the same size so it will ft, or just call me an I can custom make it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN