Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really dislike cutting!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
  • 17 Replies
  • 362 Total Views
I have noticed that lately I have not been sewing just because I don't want to cut anything out. I wish things magically came cut so I can just start sewing. I really dislike the cutting!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg8
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

me too

Ma2Liam
by Diva In Training on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM
At least I am not alone :)

Quoting meg8:

me too

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
This is me! I enjoy all of it after I get going, but cutting makes me put it off entirely. Everyone says it is so easy just zoom around with your rotary cutter.....i "zoom" and half my pattern gets cut off and maybe a finger LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ma2Liam
by Diva In Training on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Totally made me laugh! I am horrible with a rotary. I can barely do a straight line with a cutting ruler. I get tired of all the tracing the pattern and cutting. Plus using a washable marker half the time my hands are all covered in marker and then it puts more smudges on the fabric. Ugh.

Quoting Sarita33:

This is me! I enjoy all of it after I get going, but cutting makes me put it off entirely. Everyone says it is so easy just zoom around with your rotary cutter.....i "zoom" and half my pattern gets cut off and maybe a finger LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Two things - 1) Make sure you're using a GOOD pair of shears, unadulterated by use on paper*. I cannot stress this enough: dull shears are NO FUN. They put extra strain on the hand, give an inaccurate cut, take longer to use...cutting with sharp shears is so much easier and more enjoyable! 2) While it's not as useful on fleece, colored pencil is great for tracing patterns onto many fabrics. You can also trace the pattern onto wax paper or lightweight interfacing, iron onto the fabric, cut, and peel off to reuse.

*Most paper contains calcium carbonate, which is abrasive and dulls the blades of scissors/shears.

Quoting Ma2Liam:

Totally made me laugh! I am horrible with a rotary. I can barely do a straight line with a cutting ruler. I get tired of all the tracing the pattern and cutting. Plus using a washable marker half the time my hands are all covered in marker and then it puts more smudges on the fabric. Ugh.

Quoting Sarita33:

Junebaby18
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:26 AM
Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

I like the wax paper idea! What would be the best thing to put between the wax paper and the iron to prevent it from melting onto the iron? Scrap fabric? Regular paper? How many times, approx, could that be reused?
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:50 AM
Only one side should have wax on it...I'm really not good at keeping track of my patterns long enough to reuse them much, so I don't know how long they last. Best answer I kind find is "many times".

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

I like the wax paper idea! What would be the best thing to put between the wax paper and the iron to prevent it from melting onto the iron? Scrap fabric? Regular paper? How many times, approx, could that be reused?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:51 AM

With fleece, I trace with a sharpie. I always trace so my lines are on the wrong side of the fabric. I've never had it lak through. 

I don't mind the cutting, actually, I find it therapeutic in a way. Lol. I do not like tacking on elastic!!! 

Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:59 AM
I am not a fan of cutting, but Things have gotten a lot easier now that I have my main pattern cut from Lexan. I like the fact that I can lay it over the fabric and see threw it makes it so much easier to get a good placement for the embroidery and snaps. I still want to get a good rotary cutter but just can not justify spending the $$ when my scissors work so well.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:10 AM

Where do you get your lexan?

Quoting Ellen.Keith:

I am not a fan of cutting, but Things have gotten a lot easier now that I have my main pattern cut from Lexan. I like the fact that I can lay it over the fabric and see threw it makes it so much easier to get a good placement for the embroidery and snaps. I still want to get a good rotary cutter but just can not justify spending the $$ when my scissors work so well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)