Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tiny Minky fluff and a question for diaper making mommas

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:52 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 275 Total Views

I made a minky nb AI2 last night as a mock up to see if my diaper style (wipe out interior with leg gussets) would work with a minky outer.  It was a bit of challenge to turn and topstitch, especially around the leg openings, but it did work.  My question to all you mommas who make minky diapers is - do you top stitch your diapers when they are made with minky?  The one I made looks okay, I am just worried about it looking raggedy where the stitching is because of the nap on the minky fabric.  Have you had any issues with that?

Here are pictures of the diaper and matching snap-in insert.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I turn and top stitch.

It is awesome that you have such good luck with the gussets. I don't have much luck with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM

What problems do you have with the gussets?  Is it fit or making the diaper with them?

Quoting Ellen.Keith:

Yes, I turn and top stitch.

It is awesome that you have such good luck with the gussets. I don't have much luck with them.

Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
It that I could never get it aesthetically correct (to much space between the gussets ans edge). They work but I can't seem to make them pretty. I think if I tried more than twice I would get the hang of it.
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I always top stitch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supamomma02
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Love it.

I turn and top stitch
perfect01
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I figured it would have to be topstitched, I can't see any other way to get everything to lay right.  After fluffing it a little bit by the stitching it all seems to be looking just fine.  Thanks everyone for your input.

perfect01
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

One of the things that helps the legs roll in to stitch a channel for the elastic and have the gusset in the right position is to have the inside lining cut a little narrower in the leg openings.  My pattern has that marked and it makes it just naturally roll in when turning and topstitching.  Of course, you have to topstitch with the lining side facing up and when you get to the leg openings have it gradually roll from a taper where the seam starts for the gusset to within an inch having it rolled all the way in.  I usually have to do a lot of pulling the elastic and the outer material to the right of the needle to get a tight roll, then smoothing the outer material to the left and holding it to keep it from puckering and keep it a tight channel for the elastic.

Now, if that makes any sense at all, LOL, I hope this helps.

Quoting Ellen.Keith:

It that I could never get it aesthetically correct (to much space between the gussets ans edge). They work but I can't seem to make them pretty. I think if I tried more than twice I would get the hang of it.

PeakMommy
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Very cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Adams_Rib
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this
really cute!
Hannahsmommy816
by Diva on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

looks good! i am not a good topstitcher so i dont do that around the legs, but looks fine to me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)