Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Soaker styles

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 332 Total Views

What's your favorite soaker style? 

I love the ergonomics of a petal style but I feel like I'm wasting a lot of fabric in the back since it doesn't get wet.

I love the convenience of a snake soaker but it's gross to rinse out, draping it all over (shudder) and my husband has a hard time fitting it correctly.

I'm thinking of just doing a rectangle with curved corners - it'd be easier to figure out how much fabric I use and faster to serge.

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I just started doing trifold inserts. I am actually liking it more than the snake style I have been doing.

perfect01
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I do a peanut shaped insert.  They are sized, so that makes a difference.  But we have been using the size medium for 7 months now and it will fit the next size up on the diapers.  It has 2 layers zorb, 2 layers heavy organic bamboo or hemp/bamboo fleece and topped with suede cloth.  I sew a line down the center to draw the wet to the middle and throughout the soaker, so it gets the whole thing wet and lasts longer without floods.  I'm thinking Angelica's trifolds are going to be super efficient too!

Hannahsmommy816
by Diva on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

rectangle or peanut shaped

kameka
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Does the seam down the middle really help that much?

Quoting perfect01:

I do a peanut shaped insert.  They are sized, so that makes a difference.  But we have been using the size medium for 7 months now and it will fit the next size up on the diapers.  It has 2 layers zorb, 2 layers heavy organic bamboo or hemp/bamboo fleece and topped with suede cloth.  I sew a line down the center to draw the wet to the middle and throughout the soaker, so it gets the whole thing wet and lasts longer without floods.  I'm thinking Angelica's trifolds are going to be super efficient too!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I like peatal for AI2. Then for pockets I do a rectangular with stitching to keep the layers from shifting.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

We have a little girl, and it does seem to make a difference in it spreading throughout the whole soaker compared to the ones made just like it but without a seam.  I'm not so sure about on a little boy and I can only say what our experience has been.  Now that her dipes fit more snug in the rise I don't know that it is really a factor or not, but I'm too much of a worry wart to take the chance, lol!  It does make it take a little longer to dry (I do 90 mins. on regular heat for a large load of the hemp/bamboo), but I really don't like the petal style at all.  I'm waiting to hear how the testers report on Angelica's because that would help them dry faster.  Our AI2's also have snaps 1 at the back and 2 mid rise to keep it from bunching or shifting, so I'd have to figure out how to adapt it to that.

Quoting kameka:

Quoting perfect01:

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I do a petal style with a contoured top and a rectangular bottom, then adjoin them in the middle so they can be folded to put most of the absorbency in the wet zone for either gender.

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I like petal style. I don't care if they are sewn together or if they snap together. I hate folding so I don't really like snake style.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Ive been doing rectangle but I have recently started making them with the contours in the middle to reduce bunching and bulk when its actually on.

what is a snake style?

Jujubee12
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:27 AM

It works pretty well for my son. Even when he pees a lot it doesnt seem to really leave the soaker. The back doesnt ever seem to get wet though. I think for him it would make more sense to be bigger in the front than in the back. But it Ive noticed it works really well for him anyways. 

Quoting perfect01:

We have a little girl, and it does seem to make a difference in it spreading throughout the whole soaker compared to the ones made just like it but without a seam.  I'm not so sure about on a little boy and I can only say what our experience has been.  Now that her dipes fit more snug in the rise I don't know that it is really a factor or not, but I'm too much of a worry wart to take the chance, lol!  It does make it take a little longer to dry (I do 90 mins. on regular heat for a large load of the hemp/bamboo), but I really don't like the petal style at all.  I'm waiting to hear how the testers report on Angelica's because that would help them dry faster.  Our AI2's also have snaps 1 at the back and 2 mid rise to keep it from bunching or shifting, so I'd have to figure out how to adapt it to that.

Quoting kameka:

Quoting perfect01:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)