Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made my first ever diaper!

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 190 Total Views

I dont actually know how to sew but I have a sewing machine lol and I use it sometimes. But I really wanted to try making diapers so this is my first try! I used some cheap cotton for the outter and some pul for the innerfor an AI2.I had some issues with the pull and the feeding teeth because I need to get the kind that dont snag so the top stiching is kind of ugly lol. I also feel like the elastic looks sad :( I modified a large pattern to make a O/S and I used a medium/small length of elastic and it just doent really look like theres anything going on there. So I think that Im going to use a wider elastic or something next time.

But it was fun and Im excited to try it out on my son once he needs a change and Im excited to learn and do better next time :D

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Cute. the elastic looks fine. I use 1/4" I think if you want the ruffled look, you might have to stitch on both sides of the elastic when encasing it. At least, I've noticed that the diapers I have that look like that, that is how it's done. And I don't ever measure my elastic. I always mark where it's supposed to go and hold the elastic at one point, stretch it to the other and cut there, then cut it in half for the legs. and the back I do the same but only cut one half.

Ma2Liam
by Diva In Training on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Looks pretty good for the first time. A walking foot helps with feeding the pul through.
Did you top stitch around the elastic? If so try leaving a wider margin around it to give it more room to move. Also did you tack it down the whole way? If so make sure you use a 3 step zig zag. And pull it really tight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting Ma2Liam:

Looks pretty good for the first time. A walking foot helps with feeding the pul through.
Did you top stitch around the elastic? If so try leaving a wider margin around it to give it more room to move. Also did you tack it down the whole way? If so make sure you use a 3 step zig zag. And pull it really tight.

thanks.

I sewed it down on each side and then did a zigzag stitch while pulling it tight as I sewed. The I top stitched around the the inner side. I think next time I will have to do on each side? Im going to have to get a walking foot!

baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
Ma2Liam
by Diva In Training on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
If you tack each end of the elastic you don't have to zig zag down it if you are going to encase it ( top stitch) you just need to make sure your elastic is the right length. Then when you top stitch it make sure you keep the elastic out if the way and just leave yourself allowance for how wide the elastic is plus a little bit. You don't need to top stitch both sides just the side toward the center if the diaper.
If you are going to zig zag it down you will be better off 3 step zig zag since it doesn't put as many stitches in the elastic so it gives it better allowance to stretch.

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting Ma2Liam:

thanks.

I sewed it down on each side and then did a zigzag stitch while pulling it tight as I sewed. The I top stitched around the the inner side. I think next time I will have to do on each side? Im going to have to get a walking foot!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM

A few more tips.  if you zig zag the elastic, be sure to do it on the seam allowance, then when you turn it right side out and top stitch, it is held to the seam allowance and doesn't get caught in the top stitching and it also gives it 2 layers to hold to instead of 1.  This gives it more strength and durability.  You might find wicking with the woven outer, but maybe not.  BTW, I use 3/8" elastic on the one size diapers and 1/4" elastic on the newborns.  The 3/8" on the one size takes into consideration larger babies and need for the elastic to last longer because the baby will wear these diapers quite a bit longer than the newborns were worn.  I cut my leg elastic 6" and the back elastic 4" if I am using polycord elastic.

Congratulations on making your own diaper!

Jujubee12
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM

Ah I will have to do that next time thank you!

I think I used 3/8 its pretty thin in comparison to the stufff I used when I fixed some old diapers I had.. It was about as wide was the zigzag stitch. I did 5 1/5" on the legs and 4 on the back. I also put the snaps too far foreward :s so it kind of leaked up the back more than it would typically I feel like. I found a better pattern though and Im going to try that, as well as your suggestions!

Oh and I just used that fabric because I didnt want to waste all my pul on the first diaper I make considering I knew it wasnt going to be that great lol. I just used some cheap cotton that was on sale at walmart.

Quoting perfect01:

A few more tips.  if you zig zag the elastic, be sure to do it on the seam allowance, then when you turn it right side out and top stitch, it is held to the seam allowance and doesn't get caught in the top stitching and it also gives it 2 layers to hold to instead of 1.  This gives it more strength and durability.  You might find wicking with the woven outer, but maybe not.  BTW, I use 3/8" elastic on the one size diapers and 1/4" elastic on the newborns.  The 3/8" on the one size takes into consideration larger babies and need for the elastic to last longer because the baby will wear these diapers quite a bit longer than the newborns were worn.  I cut my leg elastic 6" and the back elastic 4" if I am using polycord elastic.

Congratulations on making your own diaper!

Adams_Rib
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 1:35 PM
looks lots better than my first diaper I made :) Good job!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by Diva on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
not bad for a 1st try!
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Try some scotch tape over the bottom of your presser foot. It should help it glide better, sort of like a teflon foot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)