Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 213 Total Views

hello ladies! I am new to the group and have been sewing my own cloth diapers for just a few weeks....can I get some input from some of the more experience sewing mamas?

1. What materials do you use for the layers of your diaper? (fleece, minky, PUL, sooo many to choose from it's getting confusing!)

2. Do you prefer making AIOs, pockets, covers?

THANK YOU! excited to get some good tips and show off my progress soon!

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PeakMommy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM
Welcome!
I make pocket diapers and recently started making hybrid fitteds. For pocket diapers I prefer minky and hidden pul. I was putting cotton over the pul but pul is very abrasive and the diapers wear out faster than I like. They still work but don't look as pretty anymore. Now I prefer minky outer over hidden pul and minky inner.
But hybrid fitteds are my favorite and I may never make a pocket diaper for myself again lol. I use whatever for an outer, woven or knit, hidden layer of poly fleece, minky or cv inner. And for the soaker I use obf topped with cv or minky
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeakMommy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Oh, I have made covers out of fleece. And I have also made pocket diapers out of two layers of blizzard fleece and we use them for night time. Yes, there are a lot of fabrics...I've used a lot of them! They all work well. Feel free to ask any more questions you have, there are a lot of knowledgeable mamas in here :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Welcome :)

I prefer to make pockets and like pul outer and microfleece inner. I like the softness of minky inners but they are not as stay dry as microfleece so one of my dd gets a rash if she wears a minky inner.
I use 3/8" elastic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeakMommy
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:18 AM
That's funny to me how all kids are different. Lol I have heard a few people say minky give their lo rashes. With my daughter, microfleece and crushed panne (or whatever it is) give her rashes. No wonder there are so many fabrics used lol

Quoting Sarita33:

I prefer to make pockets and like pul outer and microfleece inner. I like the softness of minky inners but they are not as stay dry as microfleece so one of my dd gets a rash if she wears a minky inner.

I use 3/8" elastic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Kind of a bummer because before on wash day after I washed both loads, I would let them pick what diapers they wanted. So they would each fill a basket and those would go in their room. Now I have to make sure Kaitlyn gets all the minky so it isn't as fun lol.

I am slowly sewing more to phase out the minky but they are 20 months so I don't want spend much more on diapers.

Quoting PeakMommy:

That's funny to me how all kids are different. Lol I have heard a few people say minky give their lo rashes. With my daughter, microfleece and crushed panne (or whatever it is) give her rashes. No wonder there are so many fabrics used lol

Quoting Sarita33:

I use 3/8" elastic.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I like making pockets and AI2. I use minky outer with hidden PUL and minky again for the inside.

For me the big thing that makes pockets easier is you do not have to put as much work into the inserts..... You can just shove microfiber in there and not have to worry about causing problems from touching the skin. However since i use my inserts on various diapers at various times I make sure to keep the microfiber in between micro fleece and/ or minky. Now that I am adding more OBF insets it is not that big of a deal to me.

I love my AI2 because they are so much trimmer.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
monalisasus
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:18 AM

for 0-6 months I love fitteds and covers after that I like pockets with PUL and suedecloth or minky

kimbotspot
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM

thanks! all i've made a PUL lined pockets so far, so I am going to try making some fitteds later this week! my dd has a sensitive bottom so i think the breathable layers may be better for her. 

Quoting PeakMommy:

Welcome!
I make pocket diapers and recently started making hybrid fitteds. For pocket diapers I prefer minky and hidden pul. I was putting cotton over the pul but pul is very abrasive and the diapers wear out faster than I like. They still work but don't look as pretty anymore. Now I prefer minky outer over hidden pul and minky inner.
But hybrid fitteds are my favorite and I may never make a pocket diaper for myself again lol. I use whatever for an outer, woven or knit, hidden layer of poly fleece, minky or cv inner. And for the soaker I use obf topped with cv or minky

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I do PUL outer and microfleece inner. and I make AI2's. it is what works best for my super heavy wetter 14 month old who floods diapers. LOL

kimbotspot
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

so for your inserts, you use OBF covered by microfleece or minky?

Quoting Ellen.Keith:

I like making pockets and AI2. I use minky outer with hidden PUL and minky again for the inside.

For me the big thing that makes pockets easier is you do not have to put as much work into the inserts..... You can just shove microfiber in there and not have to worry about causing problems from touching the skin. However since i use my inserts on various diapers at various times I make sure to keep the microfiber in between micro fleece and/ or minky. Now that I am adding more OBF insets it is not that big of a deal to me.

I love my AI2 because they are so much trimmer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)