Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Your sewing machine! UPDATE!!!

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 256 Total Views

Tell me about it :)

Im going to be sewing diapers and maybe other things. I know how to sew pretty well(thanks home ec!) but am not really sure what to look for in buying a machine.

My budget is at $200, and I live in a small town so Im probably going to have to order of line. I dont want to start out to basic and then realize I need more features.

I also will eventually get a surger(again thanks home ec) so if you have one and love it, tell me about it!

So dh, out of the blue, bought me a machine. We will see if this is a good thing or not lol.
He got a Janome Magnolia 7....I can't remember the rest of the numbers lol! It got good reviews on amazon.
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
supamomma02
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I started seeing diapers with my singer simple and had no issues. My husband recently bought me the singer one machine and love it, but it may be a little over your budget.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supamomma02
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM
I'm working on getting a serger.
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM
I have a singer curvy and my only complaint is it does not have the automatic needle down function.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommymo08
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

viking emerald 118 (but from what i understand, the 116 is cheaper and almost the same) it is a bit more (I dont rememebr exactly how much,but it is AMAZING!  My last machine was 100 and couldnt hold a candle to this baby!  And I have had it for over 2 years

grubb_d
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

i have the brother  sq 9050 it was the automatic threader, diff speed functions, the needle down function, the digital led screen, and its for quilting also, it does button holes, and has 100 diff. stitches, it also does letters n numbers, its at walmart for 199 and its my fav. if i  had to go buy another machine i would get the same 1 again.

Adams_Rib
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I have a pfaff 7570 (expensive machine, but it was given to me). It's been a great machine. My serger is a huskylock s21 (still sitting in the box). 

Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I have a Kenmore..This is my basic machine and it is great.  there is nothing fancy and it is easy to clean.  It does 26 stitches.  I have had it for three years and it has survived my three year old, two moves and my husband and has been used almost daily since it was bought.  I do not remember the price of it because I got it under the warranty of a singer that I demolished, but I was around $250.  

I also have a Singer Futura 400.... I use it for the embroidery function.  I have had it for six months with no complaints.  I chose it because it had a good mail in rebate for $1000 worth of digitizing soft ware. This machine is a beast... it is huge and takes up half the full dinning room table then you add in the fact that it has to be hooked up to the computer.  So far I am pleased with it and I paid just over $900 (it included classes too)

I also have a Viking but it is packed in storage.... It is also a great machine but since it was a gift I have no clue what it cost.  It has been in storage for almost five years.... I hope to be able to liberate it soon.

kameka
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I have a Singer 5050 and really like it. It is my Mom's old machine. It has some fancy stitches I will never use lol but it sews well and is dependable.

My serger is a Juki MO654-de and I'm beyond in love with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN