Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

iron suggestions

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 115 Total Views

My iron plate is shot (old iron) and cleaning it is no longer working. What kind of iron are you using? Would you recommend something different?

I'm finally starting my very first batch of diapers and I'll need a reliable iron!

TIA!!

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jeremmy
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Ive never ironed fabric for diapers before, but when i do iron fabrics for other things i just use my cheap walmart one. Its worked well for quite a few years.

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM
I just use a regular cheap iron. I do have a small, tiny craft one that I use for seams/edges when I don't need a regular size.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Diva In Training on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I have made tons of diapers and I have never ironed the seams on any of them.  They should not need ironing.  That said, I use an Oliso iron.  It was a treat to myself for my quilt making efforts.  I love, love, love this iron.  It has super steam feature, auto shut off, auto extends little feet to stand up off the ironing board so you don't have to set it up on end when just straightening a seam to finish pressing.  My first one quit working after about 18 mos., but Oliso replaced it for $15 shipping.  It was out of warranty, but I told them I was very disappointed about such an expensive iron breaking so soon and they gave me a new one for good PR.

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM
I iron the seam for the cotton part of a half/half diaper. I also use it for the seams of my pocket opening so I don't have to pin. Also to iron fabric if the edges have curled or it is wrinkled.

So depending on materials used it can be useful but certainly not "needed".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Welcome back!

Quoting perfect01:

I have made tons of diapers and I have never ironed the seams on any of them.  They should not need ironing.  That said, I use an Oliso iron.  It was a treat to myself for my quilt making efforts.  I love, love, love this iron.  It has super steam feature, auto shut off, auto extends little feet to stand up off the ironing board so you don't have to set it up on end when just straightening a seam to finish pressing.  My first one quit working after about 18 mos., but Oliso replaced it for $15 shipping.  It was out of warranty, but I told them I was very disappointed about such an expensive iron breaking so soon and they gave me a new one for good PR.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Diva In Training on Mar. 18, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Thanks!

Quoting Sarita33:

Welcome back!

Quoting perfect01:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)