Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A new design on my sized diapers, what do you think?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 234 Total Views

I have been struggling with a solution for our diapers.  I love, love, love the wipe out interiors for reuseability, but lately they have been sticking to L/O around the waist area where the insert doesn't cover.  No rash or red areas, but I know I would hate to have my undies sticking to me like that and I worry that with summer coming, she will get a rash from it.  So, I bought some of the sport wicking fabric from Joanns (Babyville) to try as the inners, but I'm worried about them leaking now that there are not 2 layers of PUL. 

I have made 2 new diapers.  The yellow one is completely lined with sport wicking material, but I added a strip of the PUL fabric side out to the front (something like Bum Genius) to keep it from leaking up over the top.  The pink print I used the wicking material only in the center and used the PUL completely over the upper back and the snap area of the front, but it uses so much PUL, I wasn't really too happy with it.

What do you guys think and have any of you used this fabric for the lining of your diaper covers/AI2's?

Front hip snapping sized diaper:

Inside with just a strip of PUL on the front.

The pink print with only the center in wicking fabric.

I am thinking also about using the wicking fabric for the waist area and the PUL wipeable on the rest of the area.  

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM
I have ai2's with that inner, the whole thing and pul outer and no leaks or wicking at all. I don't use pul directly on skin ever so all of the diapers I use have some sort of lining.

Give it a try!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Thanks for the info.  I'll try it out.

Quoting Sarita33:

I have ai2's with that inner, the whole thing and pul outer and no leaks or wicking at all. I don't use pul directly on skin ever so all of the diapers I use have some sort of lining.

Give it a try!

monalisasus
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Ive used sprot wiking material. I find it hard to work with since its so slippery but it held up relaly well in my AI2.....I am jsut baffeled by your gussets. I know how to do them with FOE but that yellow one make my head spin. Good work. 

perfect01
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:39 PM

How does the sports wicking material work for non-staining in your experience?  As for the gussets, you have to sew them into the diaper with right sides facing on the gusset and the outside of the diaper.  Then after you sew the elastic onto the seam allowance and turning diaper right side out, instead of making a channel for the elastic, you have to roll the elastic in toward the leg gusset and sew in the ditch of the seam.  So, as you are top stitching you work on the inside of the diaper instead of having the outside facing up.

Quoting monalisasus:

Ive used sprot wiking material. I find it hard to work with since its so slippery but it held up relaly well in my AI2.....I am jsut baffeled by your gussets. I know how to do them with FOE but that yellow one make my head spin. Good work. 

monalisasus
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

come to think of it, it is my only diaper with mild staining. But it was form one really bad one not over time. 

Quoting perfect01:

How does the sports wicking material work for non-staining in your experience?  As for the gussets, you have to sew them into the diaper with right sides facing on the gusset and the outside of the diaper.  Then after you sew the elastic onto the seam allowance and turning diaper right side out, instead of making a channel for the elastic, you have to roll the elastic in toward the leg gusset and sew in the ditch of the seam.  So, as you are top stitching you work on the inside of the diaper instead of having the outside facing up.

Quoting monalisasus:

wittey
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Here's how I make/sell my dipes  Kinda what your asking/doing {only reason i mentioned that} I use wicking jersey and loooove it!!  This is my pocket opening design the video show 1 of the dips with a fleece tummy liner the purple one {i's been in use for a long time so please forgive uglyness lol}  for thr "tummy" pannel I use either pul, wicking jersey, microfleece, fleece anything works realy and your fleece and wicking jersey wont cause it to wick to the front  just natural fibers have a chance to do this and to prevent that just roll it under when you topstich ;)

you dont need the 2 layers of pul and if you realy feel the need for 2 layers put the extra layer with the snaps as your reenforcement. I do this for my heavy wetter tummy sleepers and it works if I use pul overnight 

i just took a quick pic the one at the left i pil middle is blizzard fleece andght ismicrofleece  I do have awicking jersey bu thy were all dirty lol didnt think you'd wat a pic of that

and that is why NOT to use blizzard flece lol antipill is muh better

wittey
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

and all my wicking/sports jersey have been in constant rotation for 2.5 years with no stains at all  and there is different types of it all mine is polly stuff with smaller grid most of it I bought from a well known brand that went out of business and wazoodle  I've heard of people using old basketball shorts and shirts  with the bigger grid dont know about that

for the slippery sewing just gluestick you outside seams and sew ike tht works awesome with crushed panne too

perfect01
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Thanks for the help.  I think it is great that you are doing video tutorials to help out the mom's who want to make their own diapers.

Quoting wittey:

and all my wicking/sports jersey have been in constant rotation for 2.5 years with no stains at all  and there is different types of it all mine is polly stuff with smaller grid most of it I bought from a well known brand that went out of business and wazoodle  I've heard of people using old basketball shorts and shirts  with the bigger grid dont know about that

for the slippery sewing just gluestick you outside seams and sew ike tht works awesome with crushed panne too

wittey
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I'm a hands on visual learner and when I first started there wasn't much out there I had to learn from trial and error and I wasted much fabric/ time and money. If I can help prevent that for someone else and explain as best I can on how to's. I wish there was something like that when I had started

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)