Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elastic question

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 144 Total Views

I bought 3/8" elastic awhile back. I couldn't remember if my pattern(s) said 1/4 or 3/8, well I guessed wrong.  I have patterns for rolling elastic and casing w/ topstitching.

So can I still use the elastic I have or am I better off picking up 1/4" like the pattern states?

pregnancy

by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
perfect01
by Diva In Training on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

What pattern are you using?  I use 3/8 in most of my diapers, but I use 1/4" for the newborn leg gussets and sometimes for the leg openings, just because you are working with such a small garment it gives just a little extra room to move.  I use the Little Comet Tails Tighty Whitey Hipster pattern and it works fine with the rolled leg casing.

ballerina.2006
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I have a newb size that I can't remember the maker, Darling Diapers Unlimited (making in the newborn size and larger sizes) and Nyki Baby. My baby normally have chunky thighs if that makes a difference.

Quoting perfect01:

What pattern are you using?  I use 3/8 in most of my diapers, but I use 1/4" for the newborn leg gussets and sometimes for the leg openings, just because you are working with such a small garment it gives just a little extra room to move.  I use the Little Comet Tails Tighty Whitey Hipster pattern and it works fine with the rolled leg casing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Diva In Training on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I think most diaper makers use the 3/8" elastic for its durability and for holding the leg openings closer to the baby's legs.  I started using 1/4" on my leg gussets so they wouldn't be too much pressure on the babies' legs since I have an elastic in the gusset and in the leg opening.  But for a long time I just used the 3/8"  I also like using Lastin for my diapers but some of the moms want the braided so it is easier to replace.  Our Lastin diapers have held up well for our personal use and we haven't had to replace the elastic.

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I have been using 1/4" just because everything I read says to use that. I usually tack down the elastic on the ends in the seam allowance which is only 1/4". I got some 3/8" elastic but I'm scared to use it. Lol

Quoting perfect01:

I think most diaper makers use the 3/8" elastic for its durability and for holding the leg openings closer to the baby's legs.  I started using 1/4" on my leg gussets so they wouldn't be too much pressure on the babies' legs since I have an elastic in the gusset and in the leg opening.  But for a long time I just used the 3/8"  I also like using Lastin for my diapers but some of the moms want the braided so it is easier to replace.  Our Lastin diapers have held up well for our personal use and we haven't had to replace the elastic.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by Diva In Training on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

When you stretch the 3/8" to sew the casing, it fits right into the seam allowance.  I use it in my sized and O/S diapers and covers.  My first pattern I ever used called for 3/8" for the back and leg openings and 1/4" for the front and leg gussets.  it is what I've always used.  Most 1/4" elastic just doesn't have the resiliance of the 3/8" and with the extra layers of laminated or minky fabric, I think it works best for getting the most expansion/contraction on the diaper leg openings.  But that is just my preference.

Quoting .Angelica.:

I have been using 1/4" just because everything I read says to use that. I usually tack down the elastic on the ends in the seam allowance which is only 1/4". I got some 3/8" elastic but I'm scared to use it. Lol

Quoting perfect01:

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM
I only tack the elastic at the ends though. Maybe i'll try it soon. I do see how the little bigger elastic would be more comfy.

Quoting perfect01:

When you stretch the 3/8" to sew the casing, it fits right into the seam allowance.  I use it in my sized and O/S diapers and covers.  My first pattern I ever used called for 3/8" for the back and leg openings and 1/4" for the front and leg gussets.  it is what I've always used.  Most 1/4" elastic just doesn't have the resiliance of the 3/8" and with the extra layers of laminated or minky fabric, I think it works best for getting the most expansion/contraction on the diaper leg openings.  But that is just my preference.

Quoting .Angelica.:

Quoting perfect01:

perfect01
by Diva In Training on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Well, even though you just tack it at the ends, you have to stretch it to the leg opening sides to sew the channels for the elastic don't you?

Quoting .Angelica.:

I only tack the elastic at the ends though. Maybe i'll try it soon. I do see how the little bigger elastic would be more comfy.

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I sew the 2 diaper layers together, tack the elastic, then turn it. When top stitching I just feel for the elastic, go in, sew the casing, then continue top stitching. Not sure if that made sense.

Quoting perfect01:

Well, even though you just tack it at the ends, you have to stretch it to the leg opening sides to sew the channels for the elastic don't you?

Quoting .Angelica.:

Adams_Rib
by Diva In Training on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:07 PM

1/4" is used for my newborn/ small diapers

3/8" for med/ large and one size

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)