Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

needle question

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

i know this is dumb since i've been making diapers for a while. I'm honestly not  even sure what kind/size of needles I have. Anyways, i need to buy more, what ones should I be getting? I pretty much only sew PUL and microfleece.

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
perfect01
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I just read today that if sewing PUL you should probably be using a size 11 ballpoint needle.  Sometimes they are called jersey needles.  The tip pushes the fibers to the side instead of cutting through it like a sharp would.  It is less likely to cause snags or tiny tears to begin in the polyester knit after sewing and wear.  I use that size with my Guttermann (spelling?) polyester thread.  No shredding of thread either.

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I have guttermann thread as well. I get confused cause there are usually two numbers on the needles. lol.

Quoting perfect01:

I just read today that if sewing PUL you should probably be using a size 11 ballpoint needle.  Sometimes they are called jersey needles.  The tip pushes the fibers to the side instead of cutting through it like a sharp would.  It is less likely to cause snags or tiny tears to begin in the polyester knit after sewing and wear.  I use that size with my Guttermann (spelling?) polyester thread.  No shredding of thread either.

perfect01
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Yes there are.  I never remember the european number, just the 8, 10, 11, 12, 14 & 16's.  I recently wanted to make those little leather shoes and had to buy leather needles because nothing else would work on it.  So when they say you have to have a leather needle to sew leather, they aren't kidding, lol!  It wasn't even heavy leather.

Quoting .Angelica.:

I have guttermann thread as well. I get confused cause there are usually two numbers on the needles. lol.

Quoting perfect01:

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I buy a multipack that has size 10 & 11 ballpoint. I have never paid attention to the bottom numbers like 84/94 ect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

The higher numbers correspond to the lower. The lower numbers are American equivalents while the higher ones are European. You really only need to remember one of the numbers, as there's no variance. Here's an informative guide on sewing machine needles.

Hannahsmommy816
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

i have no idea but have bought mine on ebay....size 90 universal needles...my Brother machine only likes those lol

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I have a brother as well.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

i have no idea but have bought mine on ebay....size 90 universal needles...my Brother machine only likes those lol

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)