Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AIO inner??

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 161 Total Views
I have a patter for an AIO diaper that I really want to make. My issue is the inner fabric for the soaker... It says to use cotton or bamboo batting... I can't find this anywhere. My Joann's is always out of stock.

What else could I use? I have tons of unbleached prefolds... Would that work? I have the pul & micro fleece for the shell but I'm not sure about the absorbent layer!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Prefolds would work, as would flannel and cotton. Micrifiber also works great combined with flannel/cotton.

If you wanted to order fabric, bamboo is great.

I will caution that aio are hard to get clean and take forever to dry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Thanks!!

How are the quick dry (turn inside out for washing) type?

Quoting Sarita33:

Prefolds would work, as would flannel and cotton. Micrifiber also works great combined with flannel/cotton.

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Even those take forever to dry. At least that has been my experience with them. So I would either make a pocket diaper or an ai2 with snap in inserts.

Quoting RADmomma:

Thanks!!

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RADmomma
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Thanks!

I have pockets now but I figured that aios would be easier for hubby, ( and I don't really enjoy stuffing pockets but its worth it) but if they are hard to clean maybe I'll skip them, I have hard water.

Quoting Sarita33:

Even those take forever to dry. At least that has been my experience with them. So I would either make a pocket diaper or an ai2 with snap in inserts.

Quoting RADmomma:

Thanks!!

Quoting Sarita33:

Hannahsmommy816
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

AI2s are better since they dry faster....minky is good for inner

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I've bought cotton batting at Walmart before...I think. I'm pretty sure I did. My memory is terrible.

One layer of warm n natural batting soaks up as much water as 2 layers of flannel.

veraxaudeo
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM
We have hard water and quick dry AIOs, they don't take any longer to dry than my pockets do and they're the only white diapers I have that have stayed white - even with yucky poo! The inner lining is birdseye, or whatever Gerber prefolds are made of. The flap that folds out, is microfleece backed birdseye.
veraxaudeo
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Did you find a free pattern or did you pay for it? Either way, I'm curious, AIOs would be good for my SO.
ladybugwhitten
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I wouldn't use Gerber prefolds for AIO's. I did that and they didn't last that long for all the time that it took to make them.
RADmomma
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I'm not sure who made my prefolds as they were given to me but I do know they are not the gerber ones thanks for letting me know!!

Quoting ladybugwhitten:

I wouldn't use Gerber prefolds for AIO's. I did that and they didn't last that long for all the time that it took to make them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)