Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have some tricks for sewing PUL.....

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 515 Total Views

and not screwing it up LOL i just totally DESTROYED a diaper :( i think it may be the type of pul i have cuz it stretches like crazy and is SUCH a pain to keep in place!!! HELPPPP

Lilypie Maternity tickers
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ma2Liam
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Lots of Pins outside of the seam allowance. You can use a walking foot or Teflon foot. I hold both sides (in front and behind needles) tightly as it sews so it doesn't stretch as much. Some people have said tape on the bottom of their regular foot works.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PeakMommy
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Pin, pin, pin! I had trouble when I first started making diapers but I don't even notice anymore. It gets easier with practice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I never have had issues with pul, it is minky that drives me crazy. Lol a walking foot is helpful though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlssgaede
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

i havent sewn minky in so long im afraid to even try lol i used to make diapers YEARS ago but looks like iv totally lost my finess with the sewing machine LMAO

Sarita33
by Group Owner on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Walking foot! And lots of pins in the seam allowance or use binder clips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hannahsmommy816
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

LOTS of pins....mine doesnt really stretch, think my PUL is from fabric.com

perfect01
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If your sewing machine allows you to adjust the pressure on the foot to a lighter setting that helps a lot to keep it from making the PUL creep while you are sewing.  I have a Bernina that does that.  Also, if you can, reverse what fabric is facing the foot, I find that the laminate side of the PUL goes through better on my machine facing the feed dogs instead of the foot.

Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:06 PM
This. I have gotten to the point I do not pin. I use spray adhesive to keep my layers of PUL together, it also helps keep the minky from stretching while I sew.

Quoting perfect01:

If your sewing machine allows you to adjust the pressure on the foot to a lighter setting that helps a lot to keep it from making the PUL creep while you are sewing.  I have a Bernina that does that.  Also, if you can, reverse what fabric is facing the foot, I find that the laminate side of the PUL goes through better on my machine facing the feed dogs instead of the foot.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lovinnana61
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I've also used fabric glue to hold my pieces together, pins in the seam allowance only and the right needle.

Adams_Rib
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Where did you buy your PUL? I can't use fabric.com's PUL even with a walking foot. It stretches way too much for me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)