Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

upcycling?

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 197 Total Views
So I want to make a few fitted diapers. I have tons of old towels (bath towels)... I wondered... Does anyone know if I could upcycle those for the inside of the diaper or soaker and put flannel or microfleece on the outside?

What else can you upcycle for diapers? :)

Btw, I'm new here... So... Hi! I'm a 25 year old mama of one, soon to be two (due in August), who will be 24 months apart. I have been cloth diapering my son since he was 10 lbs and fit one-size pockets, but am new to sewing diapers... I have lots of experience with sewing, but have mostly made wetbags for myself etc plus have gotten a little bit into the wahm cottage industry with things like tutus, ties for little boys etc :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on May. 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM
2 moms liked this
I have made fitteds with old towels. I put flannel on the outside, towel in the middle, and microfleece on the inside.

Then I uses an insert for added absorbancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FoxTales
by on May. 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Oh cool!! That is precisely what I was thinking, because I have microfleece on the way.

Quoting Sarita33:

I have made fitteds with old towels. I put flannel on the outside, towel in the middle, and microfleece on the inside.

Then I uses an insert for added absorbancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
perfect01
by on May. 13, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I have also used old heavy men's t- shirts for absorbency - cheap & easy to get at the thrift stores.
pinkiebabii
by on May. 14, 2013 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I used a sock for the outside of this diaper lol.
You know the ones they sell for like a dollar during winter and they are fluffy well this is one of those.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JosieOlie
by on May. 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Hello! I am new as well, also 25 year old Momma of one. Congrats on babe number two! To answer your question...you can definitely upcycle those bath towels! Absorbancy is key and those would be perfect. I have also used my extra receiving blankets, old flannels, and you can also use old wool sweaters to make wool soakers (covers) but make sure they are at least 80% wool, and of course you will have to lanolize them as well. Pretty much any fabric that is Cotton, Hemp, Bamboo, Microfiber, Cotton-fleece...you can upcycle. Hope this helped you get some ideas rollin'. Best of luck!

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Strip the towels with hot water and dish soap to remove any detergent residue first, or they may not be quite as absorbent as you hope.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)