Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

fabric markers on white pul

Posted by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 258 Total Views
Anyone tried this? Part of my reason for wanting to make diapers is that my taste is pretty different and I want diapers that reflect our style. The pul I'm finding just doesn't cut it. But I do have fabric sharpies and wondered if I could do my own designs on the white fabric. Any experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on May. 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM
I think because of the such frequent washing, they will for sure fade.

What about a printed fabric outer. You can do hidden pul with a cute outer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I thought doing this would cause wicking? That's what I figured I would do at first but then I never see it done... And I keep reading things that seem to be saying that sewing a cotton knit to the outside causes wicking at the seams... But I could be misinterpreting.

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on May. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Most only use cotton on the back top half, so wing to wing. Then you could use pul or minky for the other half. There would be a hidden layer of pul under it. So no cotton in the wetzone at all.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

I thought doing this would cause wicking? That's what I figured I would do at first but then I never see it done... And I keep reading things that seem to be saying that sewing a cotton knit to the outside causes wicking at the seams... But I could be misinterpreting.

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu_tattoos
by on May. 22, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Hmmm... Our inserts get wet all the way to the back. Will it not wick through at the seams in the back even if the insert is wet back there? I've only seen fitted made like that and I want to make pockets.

Quoting Sarita33:

Most only use cotton on the back top half, so wing to wing. Then you could use pul or minky for the other half. There would be a hidden layer of pul under it. So no cotton in the wetzone at all.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sarita33
by Group Owner on May. 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM
The only seam would be where your elastic is. But with the hidden pul, polyester thread and ballpoint needle there shoukd not be any wicking.

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

Hmmm... Our inserts get wet all the way to the back. Will it not wick through at the seams in the back even if the insert is wet back there? I've only seen fitted made like that and I want to make pockets.

Quoting Sarita33:

Quoting lulu_tattoos:

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
veraxaudeo
by on May. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM
I have seen white pul with permanent marker designs drawn on. But I don't think those are meant for gravity frequent use. :/
perfect01
by on May. 23, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Check out this You tube video

I also have cut my fabric a little smaller, then pressed it under the 1/4" seam allowance and top stitched it to my plain PUL in the leg area.  Oh and 1 more thing that has worked for me is that I cut strips of the PUL and use it to bind the diaper instead of using FOE.  It works great, you do not have to fold over the raw edges.  Here is a picture of one I did that way, but it was all PUL.  I didn't take a picture of the ones I did with woven fabric.

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jun. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Hidden PUL or fabric paints would be a better choice. Marker would probably fade. If a bit of paint came off, though, you should be able to just touch it up. I'm especially fond of puffy paints.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)