Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cloth diaper question

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 176 Total Views

I am trying to sew a diaper for my daughter for 4th of July. Can this be used on the outer part http://m.joann.com/holiday-inspirations-patriotic-fabric-patriotic-hello-kitty/zprd_12267274a/ and have hidden pul behind that? I read on a google tutorial that it could work, just want opinions cause I bought this fabric a month ago and would hate if I couldnt use it.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
perfect01
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Watch this video on Youtube for a way to keep the cotton woven fabric from wicking wet to the outside of the diaper.  I have also just made binding from the PUL cutting it 1 1/4" wide and folding it like FOE.  That seems to help also.

Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Yes, if you do use it there is a high likelihood of moisture wicking. I have several full cotton outlets that I have made that do not wick. When sewing I use a ball point needle and then throw it in the dryer on high heat to seal the holes after I finish sewing it. You can also do it so that it is 3/4 minky and then the cotton as the back panel to prevent wicking.
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I only use cotton on the top back half, wing to wing, otherwise we get wicking. I am not a fan of the chelory melod or other binding methods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

It can be used as an outer, but it will most likely wick.

perfect01
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I have also sewn cotton outers by cutting the cotton narrower in the wet zone and folding it down on the front, then turning it under and topstitching it to a layer of PUL.  That way the cotton woven is not in the seams around the legs and at the front.  Then I use a second layer of PUL as the wipe out inner for my covers.  I use a ballpoint needle and wash it, then dry on hot heat for 20 to 30 minutes to seal the holes in the outside PUL.  When I do this method, I still turn and topstitch my diapers.  I've not had any wicking from them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)