Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leg gusset question

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 289 Total Views
I want to try to start putting leg gussets on my diaper covers, but I'm having an extremely hard time with it. Is there an easy way to do it?
GRRRR it's super frustrating when I can't figure out how to do something.
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ellen.Keith
by Group Admin on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:38 PM

What part is giving you a hard time?

For me I have to take it slow... Double check everything before I tack the elastic on the gussets.  And I have to pin... I usually skip pinning but woth the gussets I need to.  I think for me it is the fact that I do not make them very often so my brain has to actually work.

supamomma02
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I have trouble sewing it to the cover. I never pinned so I will try that.

Quoting Ellen.Keith:

What part is giving you a hard time?

For me I have to take it slow... Double check everything before I tack the elastic on the gussets.  And I have to pin... I usually skip pinning but woth the gussets I need to.  I think for me it is the fact that I do not make them very often so my brain has to actually work.

monalisasus
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I pin mine on too. I use foe after the gusset is sewn on so its not so bad. 

perfect01
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I make all my diapers with leg gussets.  I think I posted a bit of a tutorial for another mom on here.  I'll look for it and make a clicky for you if I can find it.  I don't use the FOE unless someone wants it because I don't like how it wicks moisture and I don't like how it looks after a few washing.  Instead I turn and topstitch the diaper and the the leg gusset rolls in to make a casing.  I sew 1/4" elastic on the straight side of the gusset, then turn it and stitch it down so the elastic isn't against babies skin.  Let me find my post.

perfect01
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Here is the previous post.  The whole post has lots of info, but the more detailed pictures of how it is done are on page 2.  Hope this helps.

Desirae1394
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I've yet to try cause it scares me lol

perfect01
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

If you want to try it, but don't want to "waste" good fabric just in case it doesn't turn out, just use an old T-shirt or towel or anything like that to make a trial diaper with.  Me, I jumped in with both feet, but I also had a lot of sewing experience.

sewing

Quoting Desirae1394:

Desirae1394
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:53 AM

That's an idea! I typically jump in too lol I do have some scrap I may be able to use. 

Quoting perfect01:

If you want to try it, but don't want to "waste" good fabric just in case it doesn't turn out, just use an old T-shirt or towel or anything like that to make a trial diaper with.  Me, I jumped in with both feet, but I also had a lot of sewing experience.

sewing

Quoting Desirae1394:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)