Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hand sewing ?

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 123 Total Views
Can you hand sew a fitted diaper? I don't have a sewing machine (yet) I want one though. Fit blue I'm trying to make a fitted diaper (out of a prefold) I have fold over elastic, (foe?) but sure if that's the right kind or not .

So I already cut it and everything to shape I just haven't sewed anything together.
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Fitteds are possible to hand sew but would take forever and be rather tedius. But if you have the time and patience. ....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
da808gypsy
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:01 AM
Yeah I new know what you mean I tried to sew it last night... never finished, the elastic was so hard To do. My dh thinks I should practice by hand before committing to a machine... I think he doesn't realize the hard work it takes for a diaper..lol

Quoting Sarita33:

Fitteds are possible to hand sew but would take forever and be rather tedius. But if you have the time and patience. ....
Sarita33
by Group Owner on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM
One really has nothing to do with the other. I had never sewn before in my life when I got a machine to sew diapers. It really is needed. And I have found my machine to come in handy for so many other things.
Quoting da808gypsy:

Yeah I new know what you mean I tried to sew it last night... never finished, the elastic was so hard To do. My dh thinks I should practice by hand before committing to a machine... I think he doesn't realize the hard work it takes for a diaper..lol

Quoting Sarita33:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Dec. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Keep an eye on craigslist and freecycle in your area. Sometimes you can get machines for free. Maybe you could get a starter machine there to practice with. Sewing by hand is practically torture IMO. For the elastic, just tack the ends and topstitch a casing around it. Or, to make it even easier, sew the casing and then thread your elastic through and tack the ends just outside of the casing so you don't have to fiddle with already-gathered fabric. Mark the length you need with a pencil and either leave a tab or wait until you've tacked both sides to cut; that way you'll have something to grip to stretch it.

Sewing by machine is quite different from by hand. I wasted more time and fabric attempting to hand-sew than I ever did with a machine. Did my beginner projects turn out fabulous? Of course not, but they were functional and the only way to get the hang of a sewing macne is to practice with one.

Quoting da808gypsy:

Quoting Sarita33:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN