Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick ?'s about fleece that is not malden mills

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 163 Total Views
Ok sorry i am asking w/o looking first but son is all over my lap & comp.

i am wanting to make an AIO but do not have PUL or "malden mills" fleece
however i do have some wally world fleece

how many layers of that would i need to make it water proof / resistant, or is it even worth the try?  like if i use 2 layers of thin fleece & say 2 extra layers of flannel?

i want to use it cause if i make this one lady a diaper for her baby she will send me some kefir grains (probiotics).  and its cute stuff, care bears fleece and i have matching fabs for the inside.

anyways should i even try it or just make a regular dipe and tell her to use a cover on it?  thanks so much :)
- Mom to a Toddler
- Expecting in April
- Vegan for Life
- & Crunchy Like Granola
by on Feb. 13, 2008 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Aiden06
by on Feb. 23, 2008 at 11:53 PM
i'm not sure but thought i would bump it up for you maybe waterlilly can answer this one.....
nAfrenzy
by on Feb. 24, 2008 at 11:36 PM
I don't know about for AIO's, but I read on another forum that you can use the cheaper fleece from wal-mart or joanns for covers. I was told that if you just want light coverage through the day then 1 layer may be ok. But, if you want more protection like for overnight then use 2 layers. I've just finished a couple covers...I just posted pics of them here on this list. The first one both layers were Wal-Mart fleece. The second one, though, I made from a thicker fleece blanket I picked up at GoodWill. For AIO's, though, I'm just not sure how that would work out. Maybe you could make her some really cute pockets or just covers with it??
pregnancy due date
Anvela
by on Feb. 26, 2008 at 5:56 PM
I've used walmart fleece before. For a cover I use just 2 layers. But if you're wanting to to an aio I would use 2 layers of the fleece for the outter and just one of the flannel for the inner. Plus whatever you're using as your soaker in between. Fleece isn't completely water proof, but it is resistant. I really like fleece covers. They do take on a wicking affect under clothes, but not if you don't leave the baby sitting in the diaper for long periods of time. Fleece tends to be bulkier also, thats why I say use only like 1 layer of flannel with it. Also don't use the polyester fleece as an inner layer because the first time your LO wets it, it will be all over the place. The liquid just rolls right off. However you can use microfleece for the inner, it absorbs. And make sure whatever fleece you buy says "anti-pill". You can find lots of anti-pill fleece at JoAnns  at the same prices (or close to) as walmart. Some can be a bit pricey, but some not. And they have lots of prints to choose from. If you have any specific questions that I may not have been clear on, feel free to message me. : )

--------------------------------------------------------------
Angela~Breastfeeding, Babywearing,
Co-Sleeping,Cloth DIapering, Earth Mama~

karipooh
by on Feb. 27, 2008 at 10:17 AM
Wal*Mart fleece gets very pilly.  I wouldn't recommend it.  I'd shop at Joanns especially when the fleece is on sale.  I've gotten it for 3.99 a yard.  I prefer antipil or the blizzard fleece.  Although I have never made fleece covers with them.  Good luck with your diaper making.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)