Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PUL Fabric

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 11:45 AM
  • 18 Replies
  • 3703 Total Views
1 mom liked this
PUL Fabric (pronounced "pull" or spelled out) is the plastic coated fabric used as the waterproof layer in AIO and covers.    It can be washed at high tempratures and machine dried. 

It can only be purchased online, but comes in many solid colors and prints.It is sold either in 20x20 squares (around $3.75 per sheet) or by the yard (usually around $8.50 per yard).  By the yard is cheaper because you can squeeze your patterns togehter to get more out of the fabric.  I can get 12 medium sized diapers out of 2 yards of 60" fabric. Look in the "Links" page for diaper fabric stores. 

PUL comes in 1m and 2m.  1m is thinner than 2m, but I've never had a problem with the 1m leaking, even while out of the house running errands (which is when disaster always strikes, right?).  When buying prints, they usuallly come in 2m, which is quite a bit stiffer than 1m, but really not bad and it does soften up a little with regular washes. 

You can also use PUL for bibs, waterproof travel diapers bags, etc...

Tips for sewing PUL (copied off of http://www.sewzannesfabrics.com/pul-polyurethanelaminate.html )
  1. Sew with the shiny(laminated) side facing away from the pressure foot.
  2. You can use a glue stick (regular office supply type) to baste the PUL and the fabric. No messing with pins and much easier.
  3. Use a ball point needle
  4. I use a Teflon foot.
  5. If you need more than one layer use hair clips instead of pins to fix them together prior to sewing.
  6. When making bibs,  combine the PUL and the outer fabric together using a KK2000 or 505 spray. Then it basically becomes one sheet.
  7. The shiny side is the water proof side, not the other one.
by on Jun. 12, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momma2Jack
by on Jun. 27, 2007 at 12:30 PM
Hey thanks for that info. I was curious about that.

=*Leighanna*=
turdlebums
by on Jul. 19, 2007 at 1:08 AM
12 small Diapers?I ask because we get about 6 Large and medium
dparde
by on Jul. 23, 2007 at 12:08 PM
They are about 20 inches long and 18 inches in width with the tabs, but if you work with the patterns and switch them, you can usually get 9 for sure and 12 with good placing
aslforme
by on Aug. 10, 2007 at 4:34 PM

I just ordered 5 yards to make 12 diaper covers. i guess i am going to have more than needed. i am using the "very snug baby diaper wrap from diapershop.com. they say 5 yards will make a dozen. we will see.
i want to make 4 small, 4 medium, 4 large.
I already have the premade cloth diapers with velcro and just needed to make covers due to the fact that rubber pants are a pain and with my son caused rashes.
I hope to gain alot from this forum.
sugarmagnolia1
by on Dec. 16, 2007 at 12:17 PM
Where do you guys order your PUL?

*~*~* Katheryne *~*~*

MILF2121
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 4:20 PM
Yes I would like to know as well...I've found some on ebay for about 6.45 a yard i think....i might have to go find it again if you are saying it is 8.50 a yard....also it is 2mm??
Quoting sugarmagnolia1:

Where do you guys order your PUL?
MILF2121
by on Jan. 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM
I found this site for PUL fabric and it's decent priced
http://www.verybaby.com/ccp0-catshow/solid-color-PUL-fabric.html
athenalove46
by on Jan. 29, 2008 at 10:58 AM
Hi, I'm gonna just jump on in.  I bought my PUL fabric last night from this dealer: http://www.celticclothswholesale.com/clothdiapering_2/PUL-Fabric-brDiaper-Making-Supplies.htm

They had a whole lot of color variety and just about everything else you need!

LuckyPlusOne
by on Jan. 30, 2008 at 2:17 PM
It depends on the pattern you are using.  I can flip my pattern upside down for every other diaper I cut and get 6 diapers per yard.  Some patterns won't allow you to squeeze that many out of a yard.
Quoting turdlebums:

12 small Diapers?I ask because we get about 6 Large and medium

Hoping13
by on Feb. 20, 2008 at 11:29 AM
Is there a good place to get a teflon foot online?

TIA
Mary
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)