Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

having trouble with diapers leaking

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 398 Total Views

hey ladies! my MIL is trying so had to help me by making diapers for my little girl who is allergic to disposables and everything else that goes near her booty! anyhow, we are having a lot of trouble getting the diapers to not leak! we have read all the links and posts about layers and fabrics and everything and have used exact layering that other ladies have and are still having problems when they are all saying no leaks at all. we are so frustrated with it. we are using good fleece, hemp and microfiber layered up for a soaker pad, PUL and an outter cotton layer. we are facing the PUL shiny side inside towards her body. when she pees it just trickles out like there was never a diaper there in the first place. its so strange! does anyone use fine waffle weave microfiber or microfiber fleece? do you know if that works any better? also, do you all like the 1 or 2 ml PUL? please, any help would be appreciated!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnaVictoria
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:46 PM

anyone..??

LilMonstersClub
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:12 AM

I dont use PUL due to DS having a sensitive hiney, he doesn't tolerate it BUT this may help.

First, after you sew a diaper with PUL you need to dry it with high heat to seal any holes made by the needle.

Second, make sure you're using 100% polyester thread, cotton will wick moisture right on out of the diaper.

Thirdly, Try making a diaper without the cotton outer to see if you can make a PUL diaper that doesn't leak -- if you do okay there I would say perhaps you're seams have issues with wicking to the cotton outer.

Are you making pockets or are these covers?  If you're making pockets what type of material is right next to your little ones skin?  There could be a chance that if you're using fleece for the inner portion that it could be too thick.

Oh, you're not using fabric softners on your diapers are you? That would make the material not absorb anything.  If you are using softners you can strip the diapers to get rid of the residue to see if this helps.

Hope some of this was helpful, let us know how it goes!

-Melissa :)

cherise8706
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 12:21 AM

i had the same problem,that works for my dd is i make a pocket diaper out of flannel but i only make it two layers with NO pul then i put a microfiber towel inside for a soaker,the kind found in the car dept.,make sure that the soaker is about the same length as the dipe also(another mistake i was making)i fold the towel so that it makes 4 layers.then i make a cover out of micro polar fleece,two layers,and it works really well and the good thing about pocket dipers are you can add more layers to the soaker if you need to.and for using fabric softner,it helps to use it on covers but dont use it on diapersGL

supercrafty
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 7:09 AM

What kind of fleece are you usuing?  Have you checked to make sure that water will go through it?

Alicia1212
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:04 AM

make sure your hemp and microfiber are washed and dried on hot a few times before use with no additives (besides a small amount of detergent) otherwise they will not absorb. You may just have a heavy wetter and need more soaker layers.

Stick with it, when I started cloth with my daughter I had leaking nightmares too but I figured it all out and now I have less leaking than with disposables. 

AnnaVictoria
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM

we dry on high heat to seal the holes, we use polyester thread and we're making AIO's. ill ask her to make one without the outter layer to see. we water tested the PUL and it doesnt leak at ALL, so... i dunno. maybe whats in front of the PUL isnt soaking it up enough and its just rolling out her leg hole or something. no fabric softeners for us! :) for the inner layer we used to use fleece, a really thin kind just because it was softer next to her skin. now we use hemp and its soft enough next to her skin but still leaks somehow, just like the ones we made with fleece. thanks for your reply! ill forward everything in these replies to my MIL and see what she can come up with!

Quoting LilMonstersClub:

I dont use PUL due to DS having a sensitive hiney, he doesn't tolerate it BUT this may help.

First, after you sew a diaper with PUL you need to dry it with high heat to seal any holes made by the needle.

Second, make sure you're using 100% polyester thread, cotton will wick moisture right on out of the diaper.

Thirdly, Try making a diaper without the cotton outer to see if you can make a PUL diaper that doesn't leak -- if you do okay there I would say perhaps you're seams have issues with wicking to the cotton outer.

Are you making pockets or are these covers?  If you're making pockets what type of material is right next to your little ones skin?  There could be a chance that if you're using fleece for the inner portion that it could be too thick.

Oh, you're not using fabric softners on your diapers are you? That would make the material not absorb anything.  If you are using softners you can strip the diapers to get rid of the residue to see if this helps.

Hope some of this was helpful, let us know how it goes!

-Melissa :)

AnnaVictoria
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:15 PM

thanks! do those seem to work pretty well for your DD during the night our on outings?

Quoting cherise8706:

i had the same problem,that works for my dd is i make a pocket diaper out of flannel but i only make it two layers with NO pul then i put a microfiber towel inside for a soaker,the kind found in the car dept.,make sure that the soaker is about the same length as the dipe also(another mistake i was making)i fold the towel so that it makes 4 layers.then i make a cover out of micro polar fleece,two layers,and it works really well and the good thing about pocket dipers are you can add more layers to the soaker if you need to.and for using fabric softner,it helps to use it on covers but dont use it on diapersGL

AnnaVictoria
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM

im not sure what its called but its just really thin white fleece. my MIL would know though. it absorbs a little but not near as much as the hemp.

Quoting supercrafty:

What kind of fleece are you usuing?  Have you checked to make sure that water will go through it?

AnnaVictoria
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:18 PM

i didnt know about washing the material before using it! do you mean before making the diaper or just wash the diaper before i put it on my DD? in either case, lets say i didnt wash it before she wore it and it ended up leaking, then after i washed it, it shouldnt leak right? with the diapers my MIL has made so far it doesnt seem to matter how many times we wash, they still leak. :(

Quoting Alicia1212:

make sure your hemp and microfiber are washed and dried on hot a few times before use with no additives (besides a small amount of detergent) otherwise they will not absorb. You may just have a heavy wetter and need more soaker layers.

Stick with it, when I started cloth with my daughter I had leaking nightmares too but I figured it all out and now I have less leaking than with disposables. 

cherise8706
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 6:16 PM

it works great!when we go out i make sure i dont go more than a couple hours without changing her and at night i just add more to the soaker area

Quoting AnnaVictoria:

thanks! do those seem to work pretty well for your DD during the night our on outings?

Quoting cherise8706:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)