Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tie-on diapers

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 463 Total Views

I've been trying to decide how best to make my latest diapers, as I've lost my only pin and can't afford to buy any more. It occurred to me that perhaps I could make ties, so I looked online and it does seem possible. I was wondering if anyone could think of how best to do this. Could I just make loops on the back tabs, then add jewelry clasps to the strings so I could attach/detach them? I'm using cotton shoelace for strings, so I'm not sure if maybe they'd have to be washed every time. Any ideas?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirls10181
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:39 AM

could you stich it to them say 3 pieces one to each side and then tack one in the middle to attach their then warsh with the diapers

Of corse I use covers only and prefolds with a snappi to hold them up

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean add a third loop in the middle, or tack a string in the middle?

reynam
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM

i would say sew on piece to the back of the dipe (the part you fold towards the front. and then when you bring it together tie them. or i think i saw a dipe that had like a drawstring thing in it but not sure how they did that!

3rdtymsthecharm
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM

I had a cover that was like a hour glass shape and I tied the sides together and it worked well

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jan. 4, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Well, I've made two so far. The tie-on part works just fine - I just need to figure out how to change the pattern so he doesn't have a gap at the back of his legs. The wings on the first were a little short, so I was hoping that was the problem...but the second one is bigger and still has gaps. Here are a few pictures of how they came out:

The first two are of the first dipe I made, the last two are of the second.

StarMommy77
by on Jan. 5, 2009 at 7:28 PM

How genius of you! You are a smart thrifty, crafty Momma! Really neat.. Thank you for posting the pics.. Until I saw them I thought I was reading Greek.. makes total sense now!

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jan. 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Quoting StarMommy77:

Until I saw them I thought I was reading Greek..

That tends to happen. I'm really bad at explaining/describing things.

Anyone know what I can do about gaps behind the legs? I figure I wasn't very clear on that issue, either, so I thought I'd mention it again. Here's a picture of the problem:

It's where leg, diaper, and shirt meet. I have no idea what's wrong with my pattern - help?!

cowgirls10181
by on Jan. 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM

do you have elastic in the leg's if not try adding some if you do shorten it that will help with the gap it will make the leg holes smaller I had the same problems with my first cover

about what i poseded the other day I was suggesting a loop in the center or center tie on the front of the diaper make ( I was trying to suggest that you make then simialr to a stroller buckle if that makes more sence) sorry not good at description either. to help hold the diaper up in the front but I like what you did looks better than my first try 6 yrs ago which I gave up on!

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting StarMommy77:

Until I saw them I thought I was reading Greek..

That tends to happen. I'm really bad at explaining/describing things.

Anyone know what I can do about gaps behind the legs? I figure I wasn't very clear on that issue, either, so I thought I'd mention it again. Here's a picture of the problem:

It's where leg, diaper, and shirt meet. I have no idea what's wrong with my pattern - help?!

xtwistedxlovex
by Jenny on Jan. 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Quoting cowgirls10181:

do you have elastic in the leg's if not try adding some if you do shorten it that will help with the gap it will make the leg holes smaller I had the same problems with my first cover

Thanks. I used the RRP pattern...altered a bit, but with the original elastic marks. I stretched the elastic as tight as humanly possible...it's completely sewn in with a 3-step zigzag. So how would I shorten that? Do I take it out and just have it cover less of the diaper, or would that not help since it's already stretch as tight as it will go?

I suppose I should add that instead of using just two layers of flannel like the pattern suggested, I used 2 (outer) flannel and 2 (inner) 100% cotton t-shirt material.

Edit: I just found an old post saying the elastic is stretchier if it isn't directly sewn on. I suppose I'll try that.

.Amanda.Dawn.
by on Jan. 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Yeah, some people have better luck sewing a pocket around the elastic rather than sewing directly on it.  That's how pajama pant waists are generally made.  That's how I usually do mine, but I'm experimenting with just doing the zig-zag stitch because I don't like having to topstitch around it, it's so hard to do it quickly without sewing over the elastic at all.

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Quoting cowgirls10181:

Thanks. I used the RRP pattern...altered a bit, but with the original elastic marks. I stretched the elastic as tight as humanly possible...it's completely sewn in with a 3-step zigzag. So how would I shorten that? Do I take it out and just have it cover less of the diaper, or would that not help since it's already stretch as tight as it will go?

I suppose I should add that instead of using just two layers of flannel like the pattern suggested, I used 2 (outer) flannel and 2 (inner) 100% cotton t-shirt material.

Edit: I just found an old post saying the elastic is stretchier if it isn't directly sewn on. I suppose I'll try that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)