Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Question for WAHMS who sell online

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

This may not be the right place for this--but I think there are a couple of WAHMS with cloth diaper shops out there! :)

So I am relatively new at this and have started getting requests from some reputable online diaper stores who are interested in buying my diapers wholesale.

My first question was whether I could make money selling at a discount rate. I can--I just don't know how to begin setting this up or how.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Crazy Cding, Babywearing, Breastfeeding--16 months and counting, pregnant--Due in September, Owner of Cheeky Diapers--Momma to Ethan and Wife to Rob.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mariannainidaho
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I don't sell my diapers but I used to work for a wholesale company so I can say retail is usually at least twice the wholesale price.  The wholesale price is usually at least twice the actual cost of materials.  So if your materials cost $5 you would sell something wholesale for $10-12 and they would sell it for $20-$24.  Under that scenario though they make more money off your product than you do!

please consider donating to Miracle Diapers

supercrafty
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:33 AM

I haven't sold wholesale for this very reason.  I think it comes down to time.  If you have enough time to make lots more diapers than you can sell retail, it makes sense to sell wholesale.  I struggle to keep up with retail orders and don't have the time to make dozens of diapers for $4 or $5 each. 

Also, if you are selling your diapers you are familiar with the new cpsia legislation regarding lead testing for kids products, right?  It's making selling kids stuff far more difficult.

there's some good info here http://www.boutiquecafe.com/home/tag/cpsia/

cheekydiapers
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 8:50 AM

Thanks for the great info guys!

Beth crazy cding, babywearing Mom to Ethan, Owner of Cheeky Diapers. Cheeky Diapers are handmade one-size pockets and covers that are both affordable and stylish. If you had to wear a diaper wouldn't you want it to be a fashionable one? CafeMoms get 15% off at Cheeky Diapers. Enter CAFEMOM at checkout.

Cavemama
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Quoting supercrafty:

I haven't sold wholesale for this very reason. I think it comes down to time. If you have enough time to make lots more diapers than you can sell retail, it makes sense to sell wholesale. I struggle to keep up with retail orders and don't have the time to make dozens of diapers for $4 or $5 each.

Also, if you are selling your diapers you are familiar with the new cpsia legislation regarding lead testing for kids products, right? It's making selling kids stuff far more difficult.

What are you planning to do in regards to this ...ahem...bs legislation?  How do you get this stuff tested?  I had heard that certain folks may be exempt...?

supercrafty
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Ugh, what do I plan to do?  . . . I'm doing some testing now to be absolutely sure that evereything I use is compliant (not the crazy expensive testing that will be neccessary after August, but enough to cover me until then).  I'm hoping that by that point the law will be clarified to a point where small businesses can actually comply with it.  All the letter writing and such does seem to be having some effect, we'll see what happens.

The only exemptions so far are for thrift stores (exempt from testing, but still responsible if they sell something with lead in it) and natural undyed wool and cotton. So, unless I start making plain cotton diapers and plain wool covers with no velcro or snaps or elastic or thread made out of anything except undyed cotton I'll have to test.

Quoting Cavemama:

Quoting supercrafty:

I haven't sold wholesale for this very reason. I think it comes down to time. If you have enough time to make lots more diapers than you can sell retail, it makes sense to sell wholesale. I struggle to keep up with retail orders and don't have the time to make dozens of diapers for $4 or $5 each.

Also, if you are selling your diapers you are familiar with the new cpsia legislation regarding lead testing for kids products, right? It's making selling kids stuff far more difficult.

What are you planning to do in regards to this ...ahem...bs legislation?  How do you get this stuff tested?  I had heard that certain folks may be exempt...?

cheekydiapers
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

We have tested everything that goes into our diapers--like previously posted. So I think that will cover us until August.

We've decided to not do the wholesale thing for a number of reasons. The biggest reason I got into this whole was to work with momma's. So that's the main reason. Plus, I'm pregnant and don't want to kill myself over this.:)

I still want sewing to be fun!

Again thanks for all of your input guys!

Crazy Cding, Babywearing, Breastfeeding--16 months and counting, pregnant--Due in September, Owner of Cheeky Diapers--Momma to Ethan and Wife to Rob.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)