Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 or 2 mil PUL

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 308 Total Views

Okay- you ladies have convinced me that I definately want to use PUL on the outside of my contour diapers, thereby making it a form of AIO diaper.  What is everyone's opinion on using 1mil or 2 mil PUL?  Do you think I need 2 mil or is 1 mil sufficient?  The diapers I have made are one size, adapted from prefolds with an added sewn-in insert.  The prefolds I used to make the diapers are 8 layers thick in the middle and are commercial grade prefold diapers. 

by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
leifsmom
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 7:47 AM

I'm glad you brought this up.  I can't help with it.  But I have been thinking on getting some PUL, just don't know how to order it.  Do you order like you said 1mil or 2mil (don't even know what that means).  Do you order diaper cuts (what's that) or by the yard?  Let me know........Thanks!

Sorry that I couldn't help you by the way. 

Steph - mom to Leif, my beautiful blond haired, blue eyed boyin loveboy on a swing

Ms.Fitz
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I have never used 2 mil but I have been told it can be stiffer to work with and if you're making a one size dipe that needs to fold like the KCK one, it makes it very bulky.

Lilypie 21 - 37 day cycle Ticker

desertmum
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 2:45 PM

leifsmom-

After looking around the internet even more I decided to order some 1 mil pul.  It can be ordered by the yard or sometimes in a diaper cut, which means it is around 20" x 20" or something like that- the size you would need for one diaper.  Looking at the measurements for the pattern I'm using, I found that I can actually get eight diapers out of one yard.  I found some solid pul for around $8 per yard- that's $1 per diaper- I already have the other layers of the diapers.  Diapercuts can be much more per diaper- like a minimum of $4 per diaper, maybe $3 if you're lucky.  I ordered sage green and butter yellow - gender neutral colors. 

supercrafty
by on Feb. 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM

In terms of function, there's really not much difference between 1 and 2 mil.  I use 1 mil most of the time, because I like the way it feels. Some people say that 2 mil is more waterproof, but I really haven't noticed that to be true.

leifsmom
by on Mar. 1, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Thanks for letting me know!!

Quoting desertmum:

leifsmom-

After looking around the internet even more I decided to order some 1 mil pul.  It can be ordered by the yard or sometimes in a diaper cut, which means it is around 20" x 20" or something like that- the size you would need for one diaper.  Looking at the measurements for the pattern I'm using, I found that I can actually get eight diapers out of one yard.  I found some solid pul for around $8 per yard- that's $1 per diaper- I already have the other layers of the diapers.  Diapercuts can be much more per diaper- like a minimum of $4 per diaper, maybe $3 if you're lucky.  I ordered sage green and butter yellow - gender neutral colors. 

Steph - mom to Leif, my beautiful blond haired, blue eyed boyin loveboy on a swing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)