Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serged diapers.

Posted by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 7:56 PM
  • 29 Replies
  • 4260 Total Views

When you first started to serge diapers and what not, did you use a tutorial, or just play around with it. I just bought a serger today, and I am trying to wrap my head around how to serge the area around the legs, where the finished look "ruffles". I have pondered this for awhile and just wanted some insight!

If you know of a serged diaper tutorial I woul dlove to know of it!

by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamajyme
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I also just bought a serger- took it out for the first time today and made my first batch of dipies. I did 9 today. I did flannel on outside, inside and wool for an inbetween layer. Then made matching soakers to go with. The serger was awesome!! Made dipes go soooooo much faster- Did you get any done? I didnt use a tutorial- i just kinda fiddled around. I used Ritas Rump Pattern - But made some adjustments to make it my own.

babies

Manda5463
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM

I just got it, like an hour ago. I had to put the kid to sleep, clean up, pretty tired tonight. Its calling my name though, but I might just wait for the morning.... I don't know yet!

Quoting mamajyme:

I also just bought a serger- took it out for the first time today and made my first batch of dipies. I did 9 today. I did flannel on outside, inside and wool for an inbetween layer. Then made matching soakers to go with. The serger was awesome!! Made dipes go soooooo much faster- Did you get any done? I didnt use a tutorial- i just kinda fiddled around. I used Ritas Rump Pattern - But made some adjustments to make it my own.

Cathy2005
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Oooh, I'm so curious to know the answers to your questions! I'm still searching for that perfect deal on a serger :) Can't wait though!

toddler boytoddler girlin loveairplanescissor

Carri2362
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 9:34 PM

I'm still pretty new to using my serger but I have a system that works for me.  I was planning on making one tonight.  I will take some pics for you ;)

Carri, mama to Brandon... my walking, talking, 

make-me-LOL toddler

Manda5463
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 10:13 PM

you rockYou rock mama! I am such a visual learner!

Quoting Carri2362:

I'm still pretty new to using my serger but I have a system that works for me.  I was planning on making one tonight.  I will take some pics for you ;)

Carri2362
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM

ok, like i said...I'm no pro lol...it's all been trial and error here.  I just examined a couple of my favorite dipes and based this off that. LOTS OF PICS...sorry

I prefer a snap in or lay in soaker so I just cut my inner and outer fabrics:

Pin wrong side to wrong side:

Then I mark 1 inch in from my elastic points and contect them from elastic start to stop (keeping 1in from edge).  This will be your elastic casing.

Sew along those lines through both layers

Tack down your elastic at one point.  Be sure the elastic is as close to the casing (and as far from the edge) as possible.  Tack in between both layers.

Stretch the elastic and tack it down at end point.  Repeat for all three elastic parts.  It'll look like this:

Now for serger....I usually start in the middle of one of the leg elastics...just b/c the bunching of the elastic will hide the start and stop point a bit. 

Pull the wings to make them straight with the cutter on the serger when you get there.

When you get back to the point you started at serger over the start point a bit then (here's the tricky part...) with the needles IN the fabric, pick up the foot.  Move the fabric that is due to move under the needles to the left making a 90 degree with the needles.  Lower the foot and serger. This will make you serger off the fabric.  Keep going to create a little tail of thread to tie. (you can see my thread tail in the pic below to the right)

Take your tweasers and separate the needle thread from the looper thread.  My looper thread was black and my needle thread was white.

Tie the two (looper thread and needle thread) together and trim thread

Mine aren't as ruffly around the edges b/c I use the casing method on the elastic.  I don't like sewing directly on the elastic.  Instead of sewing the casings and tacking, you could just zig zag stitch all the way through the elastic from start to stop points leaving room for sergering and stretching the elastic as you go.

Then just make your soaker for snap in or lay in :) you can add snaps or velcro closure or just snappi

make-me-LOL toddler

Manda5463
by on Mar. 31, 2009 at 11:56 PM

dancingyou rockthank youYou are amazing, I am so excited! I can't thank you enough!

Quoting Carri2362:

ok, like i said...I'm no pro lol...it's all been trial and error here.  I just examined a couple of my favorite dipes and based this off that. LOTS OF PICS...sorry

I prefer a snap in or lay in soaker so I just cut my inner and outer fabrics:

Pin wrong side to wrong side:

Then I mark 1 inch in from my elastic points and contect them from elastic start to stop (keeping 1in from edge).  This will be your elastic casing.

Sew along those lines through both layers

Tack down your elastic at one point.  Be sure the elastic is as close to the casing (and as far from the edge) as possible.  Tack in between both layers.

Stretch the elastic and tack it down at end point.  Repeat for all three elastic parts.  It'll look like this:

Now for serger....I usually start in the middle of one of the leg elastics...just b/c the bunching of the elastic will hide the start and stop point a bit. 

Pull the wings to make them straight with the cutter on the serger when you get there.

When you get back to the point you started at serger over the start point a bit then (here's the tricky part...) with the needles IN the fabric, pick up the foot.  Move the fabric that is due to move under the needles to the left making a 90 degree with the needles.  Lower the foot and serger. This will make you serger off the fabric.  Keep going to create a little tail of thread to tie. (you can see my thread tail in the pic below to the right)

Take your teasers and separate the needle thread from the looper thread.  My looper thread was black and my needle thread was white.

Tie the two (looper thread and needle thread) together and trim thread

Mine aren't as ruffly around the edges b/c I use the casing method on the elastic.  I don't like sewing directly on the elastic.  Instead of sewing the casings and tacking, you could just zig zag stitch all the way through the elastic from start to stop points leaving room for sergering and stretching the elastic as you go.

Then just make your soaker for snap in or lay in :) you can add snaps or velcro closure or just snappi

Carri2362
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 12:00 AM

GL!  I did quite a bit of practicing and tweaking to find what worked for me.  I was sooooo discouraged at first I wanted to return my serger. lol

make-me-LOL toddler

LippyMcTiccy
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 8:24 AM

THANK YOU SOOO Much for this. It really helps. Even the litle things like tying off the tails (I was wondering what to do with those?

I got my serger, made one diaper and then couldn't get it to work again. I must have re-threaded a hundred times. Finally after tears and swearing, I took it in and they said the lower looper cam was loose. Glad it wasn't me.

It's working now, but I'm still having some problems. I'm just going to keep expermenting and see if it's me or if I need to take it back again. It's working, I just have to have my tension set all funky and it isn't a 'tight' stitch'. It seems to kind of hang off the edge a tiny bit.

Great pictures and tutorial!

ttaylor1998
by on Apr. 1, 2009 at 9:05 AM

DITTO!  The pictures are great!  Thanks for taking the time to share with us!  =)

Quoting LippyMcTiccy:

THANK YOU SOOO Much for this. It really helps. Even the litle things like tying off the tails (I was wondering what to do with those?

I got my serger, made one diaper and then couldn't get it to work again. I must have re-threaded a hundred times. Finally after tears and swearing, I took it in and they said the lower looper cam was loose. Glad it wasn't me.

It's working now, but I'm still having some problems. I'm just going to keep expermenting and see if it's me or if I need to take it back again. It's working, I just have to have my tension set all funky and it isn't a 'tight' stitch'. It seems to kind of hang off the edge a tiny bit.

Great pictures and tutorial!

“Healthy people are those who live in healthy homes on a healthy diet; in an environment equally fit for birth, growth, work, healing, and dying. . . . Healthy people need no bureaucratic interference to mate, give birth, share the human condition and die.”     -Ivan Illich

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)